back to article EA shares volatile on the back of unconfirmed rumor of Amazon bid

Electronic Arts stock has been volatile this morning on rumors that Amazon was preparing to put in an offer to buy the company that were quickly deemed questionable. Initial reports came from Swedish gaming media outlet Good Luck Have Fun (GLHF) and were syndicated in USA Today, causing a quick jump in EA's share price in pre- …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It would be the poetic justice if EA was bought, shuttered and then had their name reused for a half-baked content delivery system

1. nintendoeats Silver badge

Would be the Origin of their undoing, or just the Ultima-te indignity?

2. MJI Silver badge

Would they be bought for yet another go at another gaming system?

We have a few, to be honest plenty

The big 3, PC (eg Steam). Plus a few sillies like the Google lag thing (it is horrid*).

Could anyone squeeze into that market as I have not seen a Google lagger for ages now.

* Seen on cross play, no real problems with other proper consoles# but these urgh.

# PCshave their own pool.

3. Binraider Silver badge

Oh wow, bad company buying bad company!

I fear the good people at Codemasters round the corner from me will want to quit and form a new studio rather than deal with two or three megacorps of paperwork...

4. DrSunshine0104

Not surprising.

Amazon seems to be dancing at the edges of wanting to get into the gaming industry with Lumberyard, though I don't know of any game off-hand in the wild using it. Lumberyard, of course, really encourages the use of AWS.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Last I heard, Lumberyard was dead and buried.

5. Zippy´s Sausage Factory

Plot twist: Google buys EA in order to populate Android arcade.

6. Richard 12 Silver badge
    Facepalm

They would say that though

"I talked to some people who would actually know if something was going on, and nothing is going on," Faber said

If something was going on, and they knew it, telling anyone would break the NDA they signed - and possibly SEC laws, too.

7. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

That's sure to put dollar signs in the eyes of any executive.

You mean greed takes precedence over the good of the business.

Colour me surprised!!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like