back to article TikTok wants your trust around US midterm elections data

TikTok has joined Twitter in publishing new US midterm misinformation rules, with considerable crossover in scope and style. Eric Han, TikTok's head of US safety, shared in a blog post that the social video platform is taking a variety of steps to provide access to authoritative information and counter election misinformation …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Anti-social media

"A report last year from Citizen Lab showed that the global version of TikTok . . .was no worse than Facebook when it came to privacy risks."

"Social Media" can only receive a "good" score when compared to itself. The above quote was on privacy, but it also applies to misinformation, conspiracies, and stoking the divisions that come with elections.

No social media platform want to truly control it. It's just too damn profitable.

2. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

Trust?

I laughed until I stopped

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

This is going to be a nightmare

I wish good luck to all so-called social media platforms in sorting the wheat from the chaff, and I'm bloody happy that I'm not in charge of that.

Since we don't require that politicians prove what they declare on national TV (how many have said that the last election was stolen ?), I find it difficult to believe that these platforms are going to be efficient in dialing out falsehoods.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: how many have said that the last election was stolen ?

It's fake news all the way down!

Sadly not very /s

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like