back to article Russia: Hey, don't act surprised if we're still on the ISS in 2030

Russia's space agency has signaled it may well continue maintaining its chunk of the International Space Station to potentially as far out as 2030. Or as early as 2025. Roscosmos chief Yuri Borisov last month said the motherland was going to pull out of the ISS after 2024 and instead use its own space station. To allay fears …

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Fear

I can imagine the crew of the ISS having to constantly watch for any missing sink or washing machine. Imagine starting a new day at ISS going to brush your teeth and noticing there is no sink. What the heck. So you go to grab fresh underwear and see washing machine is gone!

Imagine facing few months without the ability to wash yourself and your clothes. It's almost like in Russia living far from the river.

Cyka Blyat

1. ridley

Re: Fear

I would be very surprised to ever find a sink on the space station, the clue is really in the name.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Aren't they researching which direction the water goes down the plughole in space?

1. Ordinary Donkey

If you watched their youtube channel after the Bowie cover hit, then you'd know that water doesn't go down the plughole in space, it runs up your arms.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"built and ready to use until 2028"

I think 2028 is massively optimistic for Russia to build its own space station.

Mir apparently took 10 years to be fully assembled, and that was back when Russia had a space program that wasn't running on fumes.

I am very sceptical about Russia being able to launch and assemble a working space station in the next 6 years.

Very.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: "built and ready to use until 2028"

2028…

Not too optimistic to envisage this will a post-Putin Russia.

1. macjules

Anything can be done so long as Vlad wishes it, including launching a new space station. Whether or not it can actually be used is a totally different matter.

2. BOFH in Training

Well they can always send a single 15m length module up (assuming they can build something suitable by 2028) soon and call it "job done" in terms of having a station in space.

If and when they got more resources, they can slowly spend the next few decades adding modules to it.

After all the initial MIR module was just above 13m in length and it took over a year before another module was added to it. Maybe it may take them a decade to add the 2nd module, but they can still claim to have a station out there, regardless how limited it is.

3. Adventurer

Time to revisit Arthur C Clarkes 2010 movie The Year we made contact.

The message "All these worlds are yours except Europa, attempt no landing there. Use them together, use them in peace.

It inspired the American and Soviet leaders to seek peace.

1. that one in the corner Silver badge

So we need to explode Jupiter

before everyone will play nice?

That is a bleak thought, even for the cynical El Reg.

1. Cuddles

Re: So we need to explode Jupiter

Frankly I consider it unreasonably optimistic to believe that peace could be brought about by something as minor as exploding Jupiter.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Artillery range..

I suppose the Russians will either be there or be shelling there..

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dump it in the Pacific

...and let it drown with Russia's space ambitions.

6. Potemkine! Silver badge

Russia won't leave as long as the ISS is exploitable. First, building its own station will cost a lot of money, next being there enables Russia to have a look of what other Nations do in the ISS.

7. fishman

They're broke

With what money are the Russians going to build a space station? Their economy is in shambles and the sanctions will take years to end even if Putin is deposed. There is a huge brain drain away from the space program to other fields even before the war, and now there is a brain drain away from Russia due to the war. Their military is a mess - depleted material and manpower - which will have a higher priority than a space program. And their space program has lost its profit centers - commercial space launches, selling Soyuz rockets to ESA, and flying other countries astronauts to the ISS.

8. Little Mouse
    Black Helicopters

"Perhaps something was lost in the translation,"

You gotta feel for the guy. Being tasked with doing a full-180 on the previous public announcement without causing any loss of face to his superiors or country is not something I'd be comfortable with under the current climate.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like