back to article Tim Hortons offers free coffee and donut to settle data privacy invasion claims

Canadian fast food chain Tim Hortons is settling multiple data privacy class-action lawsuits against it by offering something it knows it's good for: a donut and coffee. The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) said Friday that Timmies' agreement still requires approval from the courts, but if given the go ahead, Tim …

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

We illegally scarfed your data

So here's a coffee and a bun to compensate? Seems a light punishment...

1. Flip
      Joke

Re: We illegally scarfed your data

It's Canada, so saying "sorry" means something! It's not all about the money.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yeah, it means that Canada's passive-aggressive way of saying "fuck you" is "sorry".

It's not really an apology. It's just a Canadian default noise, kind of like "eh" at the end of a question.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

"Here's a buck fiddy. This is how little we value your data and privacy"

(Which is obvious from the breach in the first place)

We need some serious fines on this kind of shit.

1. that one in the corner Silver badge

From earlier article:

"The app debuted in 2017 and by July 2020 had been downloaded almost 10 million times, though it was only used actively by about 1,600,000 people that month."

So that is ten million times a buck fiddy - assuming that everyone with the app takes up the offer. Although I'm guessing that fifteen million dollars still isn't much of a deterrent.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"So that is ten million times a buck fiddy - assuming that everyone with the app takes up the offer. Although I'm guessing that fifteen million dollars still isn't much of a deterrent."

Then subtract the cost value from the retail value for all those who go "oooohhhh....FREEEE!!!" and take that as an extra rather than just the usual purchase. Those are not "lost" sales and so only a "loss" of the cost price.

3. zuckzuckgo Silver badge

Well every Canadian knew that they sold more Timbits then anything else. We just didn't know they added up to gigabytes.

4. ThatOne Silver badge

> So here's a coffee and a bun to compensate?

Nope: A coffee and a tracking cookie.

2. chivo243 Silver badge
    Facepalm

The Simpson buy off

Only Homer would settle for a coffee and a Donwhut, but have a donut! or doughnut depending...

Nuttin' says D'oh like a facepalm!

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Holmes

"one of the largest email threat landscape shifts in recent history"

Not really, no.

It still relies on the idiot to click on an attachment.

It's not because the extension is different that it is such a big deal.

4. binary
    FAIL

Tim Horton's (crappy) free coffee...

The worst coffee sold in the US I ever tasted, came from Tim Hortons. We need to send them back to Canada!

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Tim Horton's (crappy) free coffee...

If it’s the worst coffee in the US then it must be very very bad. It should probably be classed as a hazardous substance and require PPE.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

It's also the worst coffee in Canada.

Somehow they swapped supplier with McD, and now McD is quite good

2. DoctorPaul

Visited relatives in Canada many years ago - they raved about their favourite coffee at Tim Horton's.

My godfathers! The "cappucino" came pre-sweetened with some sort of muck that nearly made me bring it back up after a couple of swigs - couldn't finish it.

Don't think that Tim Horton's will dare to open up in Italy any time soon.

5. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Robin Hood

Do they do any other software?

Compared to most of our enterprise suppliers that price and level of service seem quite appealing

6. that one in the corner Silver badge

ISO files of malware

Confessing ignorance here, but how does that work?

I get an unexpected email with an ISO attached, so I immediately save the attachment to a local drive, right-click and mount it as a new drive letter, open a file browser to that drive and start double-clicking on everything in sight? And never question why the purported sender of the email has suddenly chosen to do things this way when they normally have trouble attaching just one JPEG?

Even if your box automounts the ISO (mine doesn't and I don't recall telling Win10 not to - maybe I broke something?) isn't this still odd enough to warn people?

Yours, possibly with excessive in humanity, etc

1. ThatOne Silver badge

Re: ISO files of malware

I was wondering the same thing.

I mean what's next, source code the victim has to compile and run?

7. that one in the corner Silver badge

The CosmicString article

has a fun reply to someone asking if they can have a copy of an infected file to examine: the answer was basically "No, not ours to distribute" and cheerfully followed by "If you want to research the corrupt DXE driver, you are welcome to search your own telemetry for similar samples".

In other words, "Here is what the turd looks like, now go look through your own dungheap, you'll probably find one like it."

But glad to hear that the likely infection route is the "evil maid attack scenario" so I'm not likely to have this malware. Oh, a cuppa? Very thoughtful, Mai Ling, let me hold that duster.

8. Winkypop Silver badge
    Windows

Naughty Timmy, naughty!

Maybe the free coffee and cake should be redeemed at a Tim Hortons competitor.

Timmy paying the tab.

THAT might hurt a bit more.

Re: Naughty Timmy, naughty!

It might also be real compensation rather than a punishment.

I wonder what's going to happen to the new Tim Hortons in the UK once the novelty of buying stale dry donuts from a Canadian brand wears off.

Likely the same as happened with buying non-crispy, no actual cream, doughnuts from Krispy Kreme in the UK. People, especially the 20-30 age group, will go "Ooooh...Americain[1], must be good"

[1] Most Brits will neither know no care that Hortens is actually Canadian,

Tom Hortons make a big deal about their Canadianness with their “Celebrate Canada” maple syrup coffee.

Coat

That may well be true, but we are discussing Tim Hortons, not Tom :-p

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Tim Horton's is a chain owned by a Brazilian investment company,

Tom Horton's is an authentic Canadian donut shop. Tell Tom we said hi, eh

9. veti Silver badge

Why. RAR, particularly?

Why not .zip or .7z or .gz? Is there something about RAR that makes it particularly suitable?

1. captain veg Silver badge

Re: Why. RAR, particularly?

Why .LNK file? They're supposed to be shortcuts to some other file. Does that other file have be attached too, or can the shortcut also host (executable) content itself?

-A.

1. doublelayer Silver badge

That can either go to a URL or to a local application, including arguments. It's likely that's either a way to launch a shell with a small script that pulls down other data or a way to send someone to a webpage without having a link in the email text. Don't click on one.

2. doublelayer Silver badge

I think .zip files are almost always the first archive format to be decompressed by scanning or blocked outright. I know some email systems simply won't accept any .zip attachments at all. I don't know why .rar wins out in the other format wars, as I can say from experience that I've never found a mail system that rejects .7z files. Maybe because the format's not open source, attackers think scanning tools are less likely to implement decompression for it than for the other formats that are open, but I think the code to decompress has been written already, so I don't think that would be well-placed confidence if that's their reason.

1. ThatOne Silver badge

> attackers think scanning tools are less likely to implement decompression for it

Unlikely, I remember antivirus software being able to decompress them back in WinXP times.

3. ThatOne Silver badge

> Is there something about RAR that makes it particularly suitable?

Apparently there is, unless they are just haxx0r cool. For as long as I remember, malware and pirated content always came as .rar files (with the few .7z files, when that format was brand new and thus cool).

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Am just wondering

how many coffees and doughnuts the solicitors will get each? Or do they each get a part of a cup and a bite of every claimants doughnut?

11. Phones Sheridan Silver badge

I listen to the best music...

Wasn't Robin Banks a DJ on Atlantic 252? Along with Dusty Rhodes and Sandy Beaches :p

1. Killfalcon Silver badge

Re: I listen to the best music...

Dusty Rhodes was a pro wrestler. Damn good one, too.

12. mcresearch

Tim Hortons isn't Canadian.

Tim Hortons poses as a Canadian coffee and donut chain but is in fact owned by Brazilian investment company 3G Capital. They pay workers a pittance and produce food and beverages of dubious quality while claiming to be as Canadian as maple syrup.

13. Binraider Silver badge

It's rancid coffee anyway; I have no idea how they are so successful.

Then again, McDonalds does very well out of being a purveyor of dreadful "food" too.

14. ThatOne Silver badge
    Facepalm

Wishful thinking

> Tim Hortons will also have to permanently delete any geolocation data its apps improperly collected, and must instruct third party providers who had access to the data to do the same

If you believe that will happen I have a beautiful bridge to sell you, great view...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like