Simple Diagnostic: "Am I free of subscriptions?"
Quote: "I paid for it, that makes it mine"
It seems that you have - what I call - "cloud thinking", or is it "cloudy thinking"? This is a mental illness which has been prevalent for maybe fifteen years, but was completely unknown before that. The illness is spread by contact with organisations like Adobe or BritBox.
In order to determine whether a cure is possible, first you need to answer a few Yes/No questions:
(1) When you want to watch a film (say "Minority Report"), can you locate the "Minority Report" DVD in a cupboard somewhere?
(2) When you want to listen to some music (say Duran Duran "The Wedding Album"), can you locate the music CD in a cupboard somewhere?
(3) Alternatively, have you already ripped all your music CDs (and all your movie DVDs) to a server on your LAN at home?
(4) When you need some software (say GIMP or VLC), can you locate someone (say RedHat or Ubuntu) who will download the software to you (no charge)?
(5) When you configure some new hardware (say a WiFi router), can the installation be completed without "the cloud"?
If you have answered "Yes" to all these questions, you are pretty much free of "cloudy thinking".....and you have pretty much "made the technology your own".
But "No" answers mean that you have a ways to go to shrug off "subscriptions".....sorry.....more work required!