back to article Micron pledges US memory expansion after CHIPS Act passes

Micron wants a piece of the $52 billion in chips subsidies approved by US Congress this week. The company Friday promised to ramp up domestic memory production over the next few years. In a brief statement, the US chipmaker commended President Joe Biden and his administration for pushing through the $280 billion CHIPs and …

1. oiseau
    Stop

Loot

With $52 billion on the table, everyone wants their fair share ...

Hmmm ....

With $52 billion on the table, everyone wants their fair share a part of the loot ...

There you go.

Read more like what it really is.

Loot.

Like I have said before:

Greedy bastards, extracting subsidies from the government/taxpayers while there are millions sleeping on the streets, suffering hunger, healthcare is in ruins and infrastructure is tattered.

Government should make them invest or tax them heavily on the money they have made for not doing so.

Or better yet ...

Want taxpayer money instead of spending your own moolha, ie: the countless billions you have made all these years while offshoring and paying dividends instead of reinvesting in newer, more up to date facilities because that way you made even more?

Then ...

Hand over the m*fucking shares!

O.

2. PRR Silver badge
    Alert

Micron's other arm

While I applaud Micron's faith in US manufacturing, there's another branch of Micron which has not made the news.

For 23 years I have bought PC DRAM from Crucial.com, Micron's retail outlet. Fast, fresh, fits, and priced right. The mobo configurator made stick-picking easy and certain (I don't want to be a DRAM geek or keep returning won't-work sticks to sellers). My last order in 2018 shipped in 12 hours.

Sometime since then, Crucial has been took-over by Digital River. I got unclear confirmation emails and no action for nearly 12 business days.

At 12 days I called to cancel (can't cancel online). It was a terrible phone connection (echo-o-o-o) but I thought the agent said "initiated your cancellation". Later that day, it shipped!! Reverse logic or just bad algorithm? When it came I returned it ASAP. (You can do that online and get a return email with shipping info, but no RMA). After a day back in Idaho. I got a Credit Memo; however as of 4 days later my credit card has not been refunded.

Online I see a lot of complaints. Some are just dumb customers. Others seem to have been treated rudely, or "gamed" to let the 30-day return period expire. Not so much DRAM but Thinkpads and Virus software subscriptions. Just saying: look before you rely on past good experience with a vendor.

3. Kev99 Silver badge

"With $52 billion on the table, everyone wants their fair share". What about the poor taxpayers who have to subsidize these multi-billion dollar money machines?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'd agree if it weren't for the fact that China and other countries are heavily subsidizing their chip makers. The US needs to subsidize its own manufacturing simply because the rest of the world isn't playing at a level playing field.

1. oiseau
        WTF?

The US needs to ...

Stop being a country where the government is actually run by corporations and a senate filled with millionaires.

No subsidies/tax exemptions, etc. of any kind to any corporation/company/manufacturer that has off-shored jobs and invested money made in the US overseas.

They have set a worldwide example and that is precisely what is wrong with the world's economies today.

O.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seems a poor do to me

when American companies have to be bribed with American taxpayers money to build factories in, ahem, America.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like