back to article Shanghai surprise? Another analyst sees historic PC decline

More bad news on the PC shipments, with market intel firm Counterpoint Research showing a historic year-on-year decline that echoed Gartner's estimations earlier this month. The global shipments fell 11.1 percent year-on-year in Q2 2022 to 71.2 million units, a number slightly below that of pre-pandemic Q4 2019. Consumer PC …

1. Tom66

Infinite growth on a finite planet isn't sustainable. It's fine if shipments are down now and then.

1. 3arn0wl

Infinite growth on a finite planet isn't sustainable

:) I couldn't agree more.

We ought not to be surprised that market saturation leads to less demand, and that consequently fewer units will be shipped.

I hope the likes of Framework, Shift and Fairphone prosper, and lead the way : things should be made better, and designed to be repairable and upgradable.

Not the best of timing from Arm though - finally breaking into high end consumer computing just as interest in it peaks. I wonder what potential investors will think of that?

1. 3arn0wl

Note to self

I see that Samsung and iFixit are collaborating to make Samsung devices repairable. Let's hope that that leads to a better designs ethos going forward, to make them even more so.

https://www.techspot.com/news/95501-samsung-teams-ifixit-launch-self-repair-program-galaxy.html

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Wellllll

It would be fine if we hadn't built our entire society on the premise that there has to be perpetual growth.

Even the Romans realised this. Admittedly too late.

2. John 104

I'm doing my part! Bought two new laptops this year. It was time for a refresh for myself, and the kid got one as a graduation present. Both HPs. You're welcome.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like