back to article Atos waves bye to 12k staff, adds 16k mostly in offshore and nearshore sites

Shape-shifting French IT services provider Atos is reporting widening losses amid a costly group transformation that involves employing thousands more workers offshore and nearshore, and a two-way split of the group. It has been an unsettling year to date for the IT giant starting with yet another profit warning in January, …

1. VoiceOfTruth Silver badge

What is French for "digital bales of hay"?

Non! I expect to see digital bales of hay on the information super route nationales very soon.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Are they fit to work?

Maybe ATOS need to be brought in for an interview to assess their "fitness to work" possibilities? I'm sure the commentariat can come up with good ideas to make it as difficult as possible for ATOS to even attend the meeting and some even nastier ways to make the meeting, should they manage to attend, as much "fun" as possible.

1. Sepulchre

Re: Are they fit to work?

These bas**ards and the british Conservative Government are responsible for the deaths of thousands of disabled and vulnerable people, the whole ATOS network can sink into the biggest cesspit available, and it would still be too good for them.

1. spireite Silver badge

Re: Are they fit to work?

While there is no doubt that their outsourced decision making process to ATOS impacted on the vulnerable, and undoubtedly led some to suicide.. (that is not in dispute)..... thousands?

I'm not going to defend tem here but in the spirit of balanced converation....Where's the proof of thousands of deaths?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Nearshore

Does this term make anymore sense in French?

All I can think of is container ships filled with third world programmers.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Nearshore

My guess is they mean eastern Europe rather than the more usual Indian location for outsourced staff.

1. NeilPost Silver badge

Re: Nearshore

Same strategy as Fujitsu. Lots of cheap Eastern European Tech Support displacing expensive staff in Western Europe.

Poland, Romania, Slovakia etc…

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like