back to article Meta approves four programming languages for workers and developers

Meta, the social ad biz better known as Facebook, on Wednesday endorsed four programming languages as preferred options for employees and for developers building software on its platform, now in the midst of reorientation toward data-rich virtual worlds. Among the favored four is Rust, the much-loved systems language that …

1. Steve Button Silver badge

Bash?

I'm surprised that Bash isn't mentioned, even just "community supported". It's pretty handy for small tasks, and I'm unsure which of the others I would choose for that. (I suppose Python, but that would really slow me down, if I just need to move a bunch of files around, tar them up, scp them, things like that)

Having said that if "community supported" is anything like "community guidelines" then you could find yourself ejected from the building at any time, with no explanation given.

1. RegGuy1 Silver badge

Re: Bash?

Bash, awk and sed have been good to me for thirty years. For most day-to-day tasks nothing can beat them.

2. teknopaul

Bash is ace and I'm a big fan but it requires a set of os tools for a lot of jobs, usually Linux.

It's not really compatible with containers for that reason.

Shame, I never write anything in any language if it can be a bash script.

1. Tom 7

"It's not really compatible with containers for that reason."

Nice one!

2. Robert Grant

Hello person from a different timeline: it's hard to find a container that isn't Linux-based and doesn't come with bash. Possible, but hard.

You have to really want a non-bash Linux container, and really really want a non-Linux container.

1. Tom 38

Its not hard at all to find linux containers that don't have bash. Anything derived from scratch, anything derived from alpine, anything following distroless techniques most likely won't have bash. Eg, dive python:3.10-alpine

2. Plest Silver badge
    FAIL

Anyone with any sense will steer clear of this shit show!

Facebook's, sorry Meta's metaverse is just one of many metaverses and given Facebook's precious track record with user info how anyone could even so much has hand Facebook so much as their email address let alone anything useful, is beyond me. Metaverses are going to be numerous, every company will have one and none of them will talk to any of the others, meta-cells more like.

Now Saint Mark of Zuck has granted his papal blessing upon the chosen few coder langauges, oh how lowly we are that we heathens are coding in Golang or C#, the unblessed, the vile, we are not worthy. Zuck, take your language blessing and shove it up your metaverse, I shall prepare to be taken to the stake, light the faggots and I shall burn in the cleansing fires!

1. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
      FAIL

Metaverse and Zuck

All summed up in Mark Osborne's "More"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCeeTfsm8bk

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Raving aside

The tail of the article shows that Meta's attempted pivot isn't guaranteed to succeed. The cracks are clearly showing, as declining markets shine a bright light on the losse, er INVESTMENT, the company has been making. The leadership clearly lacks any grasp or vision of what they need to build, and the desperate posts offering position for people with a clue are going vacant. Their only hope at this point is acquiring someone that is on the right track, which it tricky when the person holding the check book clear hasn't a clue. Zuck can flog his team as hard as he want's but he's pointing them toward a random spot on the horizon. Whatever they are building will need to be scrapped at the end of the day.

The other question is will they tank the rest of the industries hopes along the way. That is a real peril for any acquired companies or teams to, look at how effectively they strangled Occulus. They wen't from market leader to pushing noting but cut rate garbage that required a Facebook login to use. Were it not for stumbles at HTC/Valve they would be out of the game entirely already. Now Zuck is slowing the tap of subsidized hardware, but the entire (and still small) market has to build to support the middle of the pack, so that means that everyone will have to be less aggressive in their designs to allow the low end Facehugger headsets to keep up.

Same for pushing a different vision for the core experiences. Suckerberg's vision won't fly, but if you are to different from it, you might loose out on a share of those sweet billions he's throwing around. So management and investors may see going your own way as unacceptably risky, leading to a lemming march into another industry death spiral. Legless videoconferencing and 90s inspired VR arcades aren't going to matter. Google was closer with Google earth, but their corporate culture ensured that never evolved in a direction that could have fueled a big bang moment for the industry.

1. teknopaul

Re: Raving aside

They don't need to pivot, spineless us gov let them buy the competition. If it all goes to shit in the meta verse Insta and Facebook still have no competition in many parts of the world.

1. katrinab Silver badge
        Paris Hilton

Re: Raving aside

They are trying to turn Instagram into TikToc to attract younger users, and that doesn't appear to be working very well.

4. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

So much justification

Meta's goal is to sell ad placement in a bot-curated view of freely submitted content. Really, they're just trying to make deployment and maintenance easier.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

make money

"Now that Meta has partially frozen hiring and is reportedly facing morale problems amid CEO Mark Zuckerberg's exhortations to move fast and take fewer breaks, what the company really needs is a revenue-safe language."

I have the solution ! Since all idiots who stayed with whatsapp as a "secure IM solution", which is now turning into a social media of its own, Meta can make money by selling all WA meta-data to world + dog.

Then, second phase, expose all meta + real msgs history to the public, and sell a premium FB access that won't suffer this "transparency" !

Ain't WEB V2 great ?

PS: the above has not yet happened but I think all the bits are already in WA, and it should happen soon if Zuck wants some revenue.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: make money

They've already sacrificed the illusion of end-to-end encryption. If one party is using the browser interface (which is supposedly only a front-end to the phone), as they don't directly connect to said phone, they slurp all the clear text through their server.

But worse, the PC used to notify seconds before the phone even beeped. Now they dropped the illusion completely: yesterday I forgot my phone in airplane mode, but still received new messages on the PC.

WhatsUpp with all the lies, Shmuckerberg?

6. GioCiampa

They'd be better off...

reimplementing the buggy mess that is their app in Brainfuck - probably easier to understand than whatever it is their "infinite monkeys" are producing at the moment...

7. Anti_Pattern
    Facepalm

Not Impressed

Honestly, I really hate when these tech companies are always claiming the cutting edge languages out there are the next big thing and we're adopting them ALL!! I mean, C++ has its place. For back end stuff, I still haven't seen anything that is really that much better than Java and it has been around forever much like C++, tried and true. Python has definitely gained some footing but Rust and Hack?? Gotta say, I'm not much of a fan of PHP either especially for enterprise type development.

The reason this is such a pain in the ass is that IT managers look to these companies and go... I know we've got 2 million lines of code in Jave, C++, .Net but Facebook says RUST or Hack is the best. I want you all to convert the system over to RACK!! Do it yesterday, no bitching.

There are so many languages out there... It is nearly impossible for developers to keep up on them all unless they are like Facebook and Google employees who never sleep. Just kick out code 24/7 or Zucherberg fires them. I dunno. I'm not impressed.

8. Randy Hudson

Looking forward to the JavaScript free Facebook website.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like