back to article Apple hits brakes on hiring amid economic uncertainty

Apple is joining other tech big-hitters that have frozen hiring across parts of their organization in response to a cooling global economy. The tech company is limiting spending and recruitment at some of its divisions, according to Bloomberg. Although Apple has not announced cuts externally and seems to merely be tapping the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's not surprising that folk are cutting back on "this year's iPhone" .... Hope apple don't kill the R&D budget though - that always seems short sighted

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

That's not normally the problem, they are customers

The problem is that they will reduce their orders for chips.

So ARM Qualcomm etc all have to reduce their headcount - and they are mostly R&D

So in a couple of years when things pickup Apple ask where the new chips are .....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

So ARM Qualcomm etc all have to reduce their headcount - and they are mostly R&D

So in a couple of years when things pickup Apple ask where the new chips are .....

Apple design their own silicon in-house and have done for over a decade. Do keep up!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_silicon

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

They fab their own ARM cores but still rely on Qualcomm for the phone part of the phone

Seems they can't keep up.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/22/06/28/apples-failed-5g-modem-effort-means-iphone-15-will-be-all-qualcomm

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

And too be fair

ARM designs the core IP, including doing PoCs with the fabs like TSMC, which Apple then customizes when deciding how to lay out it's M series dies and other arm based silicon.

Apple isn't and can't just build ARM cores from scratch on their own, though their engineering is more robust than say ASUS or MSI knocking out graphics cards. That ARM has broken into the desktop/laptop market is a testament to the strength of that collaborative business model. Intel failed to take over mobile and embedded devices partly due to it's go-it alone and not-built-here culture. People zinged ARMs chances of hitting the server or desktop worlds a few years ago, but here we are. The just needed to pick a less mercurial partner than M$.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

These companies don't seem to be cutting down on recruiters though

A genuine unsolicited email from Meta yesterday, paraphrased: we don't currently have any open roles, but we should set up a call so that I can learn more about your background and career objectives.

I won't be taking them up on that offer.

1. Mayday Silver badge
      WTF?

Re: These companies don't seem to be cutting down on recruiters though

I don’t understand these types of contacts.

“We don’t have a role, but give us all your information anyway”

This isn’t necessarily Meta/Evilcorp specific, but recruiters in general. No, I won’t send you all this info just because you ask for it and you “might” use it to make your life easier one day when it doesn’t benefit me at all.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Isn't that Faceslaps whole buisness model though?

They can still sell information about you after all, along with any other chump that replies thinking "I'm sure they'll call me any day now". These companies are so late stage corporate dinosaur that even an open posting isn't a good sign that you will interview for the job you applied for.

I know people where even having known the person inside the company who was trying to hire them, the HR process was so out of control that after 3 in person interviews they started getting calls for interviews for other positions instead of the one they applied for, even though the position was still open, and the manager of that position was specifically trying to hire them in particular.

Google, Cisco, Netflix, they all got to big for their britches, and usually a few year later they stumble. I'm surprised this isn't mined as another esoteric stock market indicator. There is a stronger correlation to short and medium term down trends than there is in the VIX that's for sure.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The good times are most definitely drawing to a close

Good luck maintaining a warm home this winter let alone landing a cushy tech job, especially in Europe!

Things are about to escalate very quickly.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Same playbook as 2008 will yield the same results.

Just under different set dressing. They know what they are doing too. First they grudgingly accept a minimum wage increase, but block it being tied to inflation. Then they run up inflation so the pay bump disappears below cost of living expenses again. At the same time a round of well timed layoffs tips us into a market correction/recession which is supposed to kill of the leverage employees were enjoying in a tight labor market.

It's a solid plan on the maths if you are a soulless and craven sociopath. Be careful though, there is a lot of angry mob energy in the air these days, and they could end up on the receiving end of rock to the side of the head if they push this. What is on the streets now isn't last recessions occupy wallstreet energy.

Honestly, it feels more like the Verdict Day riots back in LA in the 90s.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wait, does Apple actually hire employees anymore?

Everyone I meet is a contractor these days, sourced to a subcontractor so Apple doesn't have to pay their normal benefits package for the same position as an internal hire. Ditto for Googlebet and Metaface.

1. EricB123 Bronze badge

Re: Wait, does Apple actually hire employees anymore?

That and bitch that the USA needs more STEM graduates.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like