back to article Intel plans chip price hikes due to 'inflationary pressures'

It was almost inevitable, and now we know it's coming. Intel plans to raise the prices of various products this fall due to our common foe: inflation. Intel confirmed the news to The Register after Nikkei reported Thursday that the chipmaker has begun telling customers that it plans to increase prices for a "majority of its …

1. VoiceOfTruth Silver badge

Inflation

So inflation is around 15-20%, is it? That sounds about right. The next time I hear from some politician that inflation is n% I know the truth, and that he/she is lying.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Inflation

Inflation in Intel CEO salary is 400% over the previous CEO.

Assuming everyone else's job is paying 4x the salary of last year and everyone is getting a signing bonus equal to a year's pay then this will lead to rising prices

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Maybe for this current CEO, their personal inflation that they've experienced is 400%.

2. Potemkine! Silver badge

Thank you Putin Khuylo!

For Europe, it depends of the country. In yours it reached 17.1%.

2. sreynolds

Real and wishinflation.....

There is real inflation from rising energy costs and then there's the we can make huge increases in prices now that people are used to paying more for other stuff, knowing they can't do much about it as we are a huge corp that believes in wishflation.

For how much longer are people going to put up with Intel?

3. Potemkine! Silver badge
    Flame

Times are hard for Intel

Intel in Q1/22 had a gross margin above 50% and made a profit of $8,100,000,000 . With such a harsh situation, a price hike for consumers is mandatory

1. Snowy Silver badge
      Holmes

Re: Times are hard for Intel

Yes it is harsh times , they are not making 60%

4. 20TC

Dollar rate

Don't forget that the Euro/Pound rate against the Dollar has change by more than 10% in the last few months. EUR:USD parity at the moment.

That's never good as so much of the electro-tat that we 'want' to buy is basically built in Dollars.

And shipping container rates are predominantly in USD which means whilst the price of a container is coming back down again, those savings can be wiped out by exchange rate.

1. codejunky Silver badge

Re: Dollar rate

@20TC

"Don't forget that the Euro/Pound rate against the Dollar has change by more than 10% in the last few months. EUR:USD parity at the moment."

I saw the EUR dropped below the USD. Was kinda hoping it would be more prominent in the news. We were very lucky in the UK not to have joined the EZ.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Dollar rate

>I saw the EUR dropped below the USD. Was kinda hoping it would be more prominent in the news. We were very lucky in the UK not to have joined the EZ.

Possibly because it looks like the GBP is trending the same way...

I seem to remember some Brexiteers wanted the ability to devalue the GBP to make UK exports more attractively priced and the country more attractive to inward investment...

Obviously much depends on how high you want the BoE to increase Base Rate to, and thus further fuel domestic inflation, so as to make the currency attractive to overseas investors.

5. OldCrow 1975

Inflation

Intel is not going to let this inflation go to waste

1. Snowy Silver badge
      Joke

Just the latest thing they want to recycle.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like