back to article Cloud, on-prem ... we've got the network service to rule them all, says AWS

AWS has announced the general availability of AWS Cloud WAN, its managed service that can be used to bring together all your infrastructure in the cloud and across multiple sites into a unified global network. Cloud WAN is a managed wide area networking service that AWS says will make it easy for customers to build and monitor …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wait, what...?

So, why should I turn my unmetered connectivity (WAN / Internet / VPN's / MPLS / etc) into a metered "Cloud WAN"...?

This could be great (and from other cloud providers too), but https://aws.amazon.com/cloud-wan/pricing/?nc=sn&loc=3 is a big red flag...

Are they any benefits for me, or am I being cynical when all I can see is lock-in and usage-based pricing...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wait, what...?

That's cloud, charging you for something you used to do for free.

2. Coofer Cat

Re: Wait, what...?

There's definitely an element of design-in/lock-in here. However, if you've got (say) a London and NY office, you can do the trans-atlantic cross connect via AWS now. Each office puts in a (relatively cheap) Direct Connect to AWS, and AWS connects the two up for you.

For two offices that's probably not worth doing (because of metering as you say), but if you have (say) 5 offices globally, you _might_ get some benefits because AWS will sort of mesh the offices together, rather than needing say a Tokyo->NY->London type route, you just go Tokyo->AWS->London. However, if (up to now) your Tokyo office has just had VPNs to London and NY, then yeah, I can't see this really being any better for you.

In summary then... it's not a definite "yes" or "no" - it's more like "it depends", but you're probably going to have to be a "particular kind of customer" to take this on.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Advertising

They should get Mrs Doyle (from Father Ted) to do the sales pitch.

"GoWAN, GoWAN, GoWAN, GoWAN...."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like