back to article Accenture bags IT services contract for UK tax collector

The UK's tax collection agency is handing a £29.6 million ($35 million) contract to Accenture, providing further evidence that timelines to replace IT suppliers under a £7.1 billion ($8.4 billion) project are slipping. Her Majesty's Revenues and Customs (HMRC) confirmed the award of the contract for the Auxiliary Transition …

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Droppings

I am surprised any tech wants to work for HMRC, given they have been (dropping fecal matter) on tech workers for years. Well, pecunia non olet.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: Droppings

The managers of Accenture won't really be at the forefront of the tax man's shit, it'll be the underlings who'll be drowning in it. But who cares about them really? Management don't.

2. James Anderson

Re: Droppings

Its worse Accenture were consulted on how to tax independent contractors. Resulting is the IR35, Umbrella mess which has been inflicted on the most skilled professionals. Thus leaving the field free for the big four to charge top dollar for the least skilled duffers.

2. Plest Silver badge
    Facepalm

Really?

Accenture the company that emerged from the wreckage of Arthur Andersons and the whole Enron debacle 20 years ago, are now in cahoots with HMRC?

Well this won't end well! Better stack up some emergency tax money 'cos you'll need to pay it for 2 years and then you can have it all back when HMRC realise the foxes they've hired to watch their chicken shed!

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Timelines on a £7 billion project are slipping

Color me shocked.

Shocked, I say.

I wonder when that project will get to £10 billion.

I'm guessing before the end of the year, and with nothing to show for it.

Really, why does UK Gov keep throwing money into that pit ?

Oh, sorry, silly me : snoughts in the trough.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FFS

UK Gov NEVER LEARN

Accenture / Arthur Anderson are just plain crap

Freelanced with them on the NI system back in the days of the DHSS at Blackpool

Grads charged at £1k per day (1988 money) their training consisted of 6 weeks and they charged the DHSS to use a stupid pseudo code system they had written themselves.

I was hauled before the line manager because I pointed out that it was impossible to do the calculation for a benefit when one field was a percentage and the other field was a character.

What is 10% of "yes" or "no" or "declined" !!!

They were £2bn over budget when I joined and it was still going 2 years later when I finally quit.

No heads rolled, unbelievable.

Their dress code manual was truly astounding.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Accenture

I work with Accenture on a daily basis at the moment, with them supplying a range of services. We, nearer the results they produce, agree they are pretty awful. They outsource the majority of their work and the standards are as low as I have seen. We have had ‘Linux engineers’ who have close to zero Linux experience for example.

Management, for some reason, stick with them.

I wish HMRC good luck.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like