back to article IT reseller giant SHI International knocked offline by cyberattack

New Jersey-based IT reseller and service provider SHI International was knocked off the web after a July 4 cyberattack. Described by the company as "a coordinated and professional malware attack," the incident happened over the US holiday weekend and resulted in the company pulling the plug on much of its public presence ( …

1. sanmigueelbeer Silver badge
    Coat

<Insert company name here>

* no evidence ... customer data was exfiltrated

* we take the security of customer data extremely seriously *snicker*

Did I miss anything?

1. katrinab Silver badge
      Mushroom

Re: <Insert company name here>

"a coordinated and professional malware attack"

2. Alumoi Silver badge

Re: <Insert company name here>

state-backed hackers

sofisticated attack

we've notified the few affected customeres

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Embarrassment ?

"The incident is an embarrassment for an IT services giant such as SHI. One would have thought the company would have had defenses against such an attack as well as a disaster recovery plan ready to pull out at a moment's notice, but here we are."

Well, seeing only 2 days after a bank holidays to 1) restore email 2) post an update hardly looks like an embarrassment to me, if one recent customer incident is to be taken as an example (maybe is not, customer is clueless beyond imagination, but the incident looks similar): they only announced "systems off" and took 2+ months to recover fully ! There was never any explanation nor any public date of recovery.

But those were completely and seriously unprepared. And un-patched.

1. TimMaher Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: clueless

Go on then. Who was it? We need to know.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: clueless

"Go on then. Who was it? We need to know."

Original OP, here.

Sorry mate, I'm a professional and don't leak customers' names. Even less the easy targets for cyber-crims.

Also, it would be a contract breach with my employer.

3. Clausewitz4.0
    Devil

No reason for embarassment

QUOTE: The incident is an embarrassment for an IT services giant such as SHI.

If even the Russian bears can penetrate the Pentagon, DHS and others - and I mean, those guys have billions of budget and their daily job is to kill people for a living - there is no reason to be ashamed for having your systems compromised by an skilled adversary.

4. JamesTGrant

Maybe working in their IT dept is too demoralising… “Hello, SHI IT department…”

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022