back to article Meta's AI translation breaks 200 language barrier

Meta's quest to translate underserved languages is marking its first victory with the open source release of a language model able to decipher 202 languages. Named after Meta's No Language Left Behind initiative and dubbed NLLB-200, the model is the first able to translate so many languages, according to its makers, all with …

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

One Super Prime Application for Rule with All Others

Meta said it's also providing $200,000 in grants to nonprofits willing to research real-world applications for NLLB-200.

Ideal candidates are those into lauding and instructing on matters and methodologies delivering Mastery of the Universe doing Global Operating Devices work.

Although not absolutely essential to be able to communicate in any language, it certainly would not do one harm to be so helpful.

2. Pete 2 Silver badge

Get the basics right first

> improve translation for languages overlooked by similar projects.

Yet it still has no provision for distinguishing "you" between singular and plural when translating from English into a language that uses different words for those two cases

you (sing) are / you (pl) are: du bist / ihr seid, in german, for example (also fails for formal use of the pronoun)

1. Martin 26

Re: Get the basics right first

Thou art is translated as 'du bist', works for me. Ye think gives 'ihr denkt'. It's not perfect but they have thought about it.

2. WhereAmI?

And then there's the languages that have no gender pronouns (such as Filipino). You just get used to being called he and she indiscriminately.

1. JassMan
        Trollface

And then there's the languages that have no gender pronouns (such as Filipino). You just get used to being called he and she indiscriminately.

Surely that's sex discrimination against the LGBT+ community. It should translate everything as 'they'.

1. nijam Silver badge

> It should translate everything as 'they'.

No, "they" is a plural.

I self-identify as a single individual and would take offence at the suggestion that I am a multiplicity. Unlike the biblical case, I am NOT legion.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like