back to article AstraLocker ransomware reportedly closes doors to pursue cryptojacking

The developer of the AstraLocker ransomware code is reportedly ceasing operations and turning attention to the far simpler art and crime of cryptojacking. AstraLocker seems to be an offshoot of the Babuk Locker ransomware-as-a-service gang, whose source code was leaked last year. Both were identified in 2021. The developer of …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Flame

"only requires the user to enable macros"

No, it requires the user to be a bloody idiot, of which there are obviously quite a lot, otherwise this manner of attack would be dead.

I can't believe how easy it is to not be attacked. Just don't open the fucking attachment.

1. karlkarl Silver badge

Re: "only requires the user to enable macros"

Agreed.

And if you do open the attachment, don't try to run the executable.

And if you do try to run the executable, don't click yes on the obvious warning that appears.

(on Windows, where I imagine most of these things are happening)

... they basically have three attempts to not be stupid and yet somehow people still manage it. I almost think that there should be fines handed out to these kinds of people just as much as the malware groups.

It is these kinds of people that are directing companies towards making computers, less and less flexible, just to try to protect their carelessness.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022