back to article Dutch University retrieves Bitcoin ransomware payment and makes a profit

The Netherlands' Maastricht University has managed to recoup the Bitcoin ransom it paid to ransomware scum in 2019 – and has made a tidy profit on the deal. The University explained that in 2019 it suffered a ransomware attack that prevented staff and students from accessing research data, email, or library resources. Faced …

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Facepalm

Yet STILL people fall for this crap

'nuff sed?

2. Clausewitz4.0
    Devil

Cryptocurrency anonymity

Bitcoin isn't anonymous, but you can use mixer / tumblers, quickly convert to ETH and then use TornadoCash. Or swap for Monero.

1. ThatOne Silver badge
      Devil

Re: Cryptocurrency anonymity

Or buy gold bricks, guaranteed anonymous! Here, I have some for sale. Yes, I know, they look like gold-colored masonry bricks, but that's on purpose: Spray paint them and you can hide them in plain sight!

I also have a bridge for sale, also solid gold... No, this one has a funny color, but that's obviously just paint. Ever wondered why they call it the "Golden Gate"? I'm sure a discerning gentleman like you can't be fooled by a cheap paint job.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

On a serious note, these methods are being sucessfully traced too.

The recovery rate is fairly decent for paths that don't lead into Orc- or Nork- country

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Show me 1 instance of a Monero transaction provably being successfully traced since 01-01-2019.

Bonus points: Don't mention CipherTrace, who's CEO has admitted on Twitter that Monero tracing will never be deterministic like Bitcoin tracing (https://imgur.com/A9uEjiU)

3. AdmFubar

Made a tidy profit, but only if...

They cashed out before the crypto market tanked!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022