back to article Germany unveils plan to tackle cyberattacks on satellites

The German Federal Office for Information Security (BSI) has put out an IT baseline protection profile for space infrastructure amid concerns that attackers could turn their gaze skywards. The document, published last week, is the result of a year of work by Airbus Defence and Space, the German Space Agency at the German …

1. heyrick Silver badge

"reach an existentially threatening, catastrophic extent for the operator or the manufacturer."

And the level above that should be "Epic High" which is a catastrophic event for humanity, a Kessler Syndrome that could (depending on what actually happens) put a hold on space exploration, and potentially even using certain types of satellites, for decades if not longer.

1. sitta_europea

Or even just dropping a space station on a city.

2. elsergiovolador Silver badge

The level above "Epic High" should be "Gargantuan High" which is a catastrophic event for space, where basically the space is closed and black holes are angrily sucking each other. Given that the time would no longer exist, we wouldn't even know.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

You mean a universal out of cheese error?

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge

The spacecraft might contain all manner of crypto secrets and will require monitoring if sent to a graveyard orbit

If your satellite has any secrets that are not specific to itself and itself alone (e.g. signature for command authentication) then you are doing things very badly.

3. Danny 2 Silver badge

File this under 'Aye, right'

This is one of these 'I don't care if you believe me, why would I lie' anecdotes, which I have posted here years ago.

My Dutch ex-fiancee told me that one of her pals had hacked a British satellite and changed it's orbit. I mansplained .to her that what she meant to say was her pal had hacked satellite communications bandwidth, and what she claimed was impossible.

Couple of weeks later I read on a high security intranet that a British military satellite had been lowered in orbit until a £10 million ransom was paid. Never made the press for obvious reasons.

1. Clausewitz4.0
      Devil

Re: File this under 'Aye, right'

Interesting, if true. I wonder if the attackers have changed the keys so the original owners could not take control back, if this attack scenario was possible on the platform.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You do of course realize that if someone from MOD reads this, and I'm sure the MOD has its share of geeks, that you just leaked classified information to a public website about a secret incident involving an attack on a multmillion pound asset while also stating that you know someone who has the identity of the attacker, right? You'd better hope there's no large monetary awards to be had for ratting you out because leaking classified information usually carries a prison sentence.

Anon, because I don't wish to be involved.

1. Danny 2 Silver badge

I'm not the least bit worried because I wasn't signed up for the Official Secrets act, it was public information in the organisation I was in.

I admit I was worried the first time I posted it years ago inn case I was pressed for an identity, but then I never knew for a fact who it was. It's basically hearsay so go ahead and claim a reward for dobbing me in if you want, just cut me in for 10%.

4. M.V. Lipvig Bronze badge
    Joke

OK, a new frontier

demands new terminology. I shall contribute Mafianauts as the name for crims in space. Oh yeah, and the ones who shall catch them are PIIIIGS IIIIN SPAAAAAACE!!!!! I can't claim credit for that one though, just the change in meaning.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SN0wK-wXqY0

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022