back to article Intuit pulls QuickBooks from India, uncomfortably quickly

Accounting software colossus Intuit has decided to pull its QuickBooks product from India. The decision comes into effect on January 31 2023, after which QuickBooks products and service offerings for accountancy and small business customers will no longer be available in the world's second most populous country. "After …

1. Short Fat Bald Hairy Man

Lobbying?

Whatever else, the current status of the IT filing in India is that most can file easily online AND the official website is not that bad. Even though there was unnecessary chaos last year.

And exiting in Jan!!!! Every dog knows that the financial year ending is 31 March! Real good! And companies can file (I think) till end October. So they do need to use it till then?

Also have CAs and plain As (!) who will do it (and do it well, and, uh, I am told, help you!) for a modest fee. Need to compete with that too.

And this? Is this correct? (I know, old link)

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/taxes/turbotax-h-r-block-spend-millions-lobbying-us-keep-doing-n736386

1. katrinab Silver badge
      Meh

Re: Lobbying?

From a UK perspective, Quickbooks looks like American accounts run through a spell checker.

For example "Checking Account" is not "Chequing Account", it is "Current Account". And the general layout, classification of expenses, and so on is just plain weird.

If you are familiar with UK accounting standards, you could pick up a set of Chinese accounts and it would make more sense even if you don't know a single word of Chinese, than picking up a set of American accounts.

India of course does its own thing, not like British or American accounts, but it is certainly closer to British than American.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Intuit has simply can't account for India

3. EricB123 Bronze badge

Gee, Thanks!

Does anyone remember the American firms touting China and India as a huge part of their future expansion plans? So many people, so much future growth and profits.

Seems more like a calculated technology transfer by China and India,

Now, run along suckers! I mean, executives.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022