back to article 'Prolific' NetWalker extortionist pleads guilty to ransomware charges

A former Canadian government employee has pleaded guilty in a US court to several charges related to his involvement with the NetWalker ransomware gang. On Tuesday, 34-year-old Sebastien Vachon-Desjardins admitted he conspired to commit computer and wire fraud, intentionally damaged a protected computer, and transmitted a …

1. sitta_europea

[quote]

Vachon-Desjardins ... said he would "cooperate fully ... This includes testifying against his former NetWalker affiliates.

If this cooperation qualifies as "substantial assistance," then Vachon-Desjardins may get off with a lighter sentence.

[/quote]

Of course if his former associates murder him, a lighter sentence might not mean very much.

I see hacking attempts by criminals every day, and this is the sort of food for thought of which I like them to have plenty.

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

I think thats a real risk . I get the impression these kind of criminals dont think its real until the FBI kick the door in .

So his former colleagues will probably see hiring a hitman from the dark net as fully justified and as much of a big deal as doing a mission in Grand Theft auto.

(See Ross Ulbricht as example)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sorry

Eh?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022