back to article To Washington's relief, GlobalWafers to spend $5 billion on Texas plant

Taiwan's GlobalWafers announced on Monday a new use for the $5 billion it first earmarked for a purchase of Germany's Siltronics: building a 300-millimeter semiconductor wafer plant in the US state of Texas. Construction on the facility – which will eventually span 3.2 million square feet – is expected to commence later this …

1. jmch Silver badge
    Trollface

Tipping the balance

"was offered an additional $10,000 bonus for creating jobs for US veterans."

I'm sure the 10 grand on top was what really sealed the deal!!

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Facepalm

Yay, another wafer plant in the middle of a desert

What a great idea. I'm sure Texas has a lot of space, but what it doesn't have is water for an industry that is very thirsty.

1,500 jobs ? Maybe.

1.2 million wafers a month ? I don't think so.

There won't be enough water to satisfy the neeeds of all the chip plants that are being built in Texas.

Gotta start stockpiling the popcorn.

1. emfiliane

Re: Yay, another wafer plant in the middle of a desert

Sherman, TX isn't desert though: Most of east Texas becomes wetlands and bayou, and Sherman in particular sits right on the Texoma Reservoir of the Red River, which no doubt played a large decision in where to site it. The hope, of course, is that they have a plan to purify the wastewater and return it, rather than something idiotic and Texas-level environmental, like injecting it into empty oil wells.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Also this isnt a fan, which is why it only costs $5bn, they just make the raw wafers

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

fan/fab

3. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    Coat

1500 jobs

In a 300mm plant? They'll never fit, especially Texans.

4. Snowy Silver badge
    Joke

Washington

Happy that is until Texas cedes from the Union.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022