back to article Europol arrests nine suspected of stealing 'several million' euros via phishing

Europol cops have arrested nine suspected members of a cybercrime ring involved in phishing, internet scams, and money laundering. The alleged crooks are believed to have stolen "several million euros" from at least "dozens of Belgian victims," according to that nation's police, which, along with the Dutch, supported the cross …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"These messages included a phishing link that led to fake banking websites, which were used to harvest credentials."

Let's not forget the banks' culpability in this. They train their customers to be phished by sending emails, mostly marketing emails, with links in them. Two things should be made compulsory for banks:

1. No email sent to a customer should contain a link except for a few well-defined circumstances such as a password reset and certainly not without some previous interaction that ensures the customer is expecting it.*

2. Hammer home to the customers that any email purporting to be from the bank is fake, should be reported and the link should on no account be followed.

It probably wouldn't even be necessary for legislation to compel this. A regulatory requirement might be sufficient although legislation to make it a criminal offence to sign off sending such emails would be a good way to ensure the first requirement was obeyed.

* Ideally this should be eliminated by doing it off-net in a branch. Yes, real bank branches.

1. lglethal Silver badge
      Go

A friend of mine worked in IT in a bank in Aus (many years ago). The Management decided to bring in a rule, no links to customer logins in the Emails. The management even decided to send out an email to all customers saying "We will never include links to our login pages in our emails to you." But what did the Manager charged with writing the Email do? (Or more likely the Manager's secretary, as the Manager was naturally to important to write such an Email himself). They included a link to access the customer login page at the bottom.

Cue much face palming in the IT department. My mate never did say what happened to the idiot who wrote (or at least authorised) the Email. I'd like to believe they got a kick out the door, but since it was management and not a lowly peon, likely nothing happened...

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Your mate's bank wasn't unique in this. I've had a similar missive, not pointing to a login but to a page for further information.

2. sitta_europea

"... Companies and individuals spent at least $43.3 billion between June 2016 and December 2022..."

Er...

3. Joe Drunk

Average punter too naive

I get those emails all the time purporting to be from my bank, Paypal, etc. I never click on any link provided because I already have them bookmarked. I login to the same links I've always used, yup, all is well. Nice try fraudsters, you need to up your game if you want my logins, but you won't. It's easier and more profitable to go after the low hanging fruit.

1. ShadowSystems Silver badge

Re: Average punter too naive

I'll second your basic premise & add that my screen reader makes such emails obscenely easy to determine are not from whom they claim. When "My B4nk" or "P4ypa1" sends me something, I hear that those bits include numbers instead of letters, so I immediately know they're shite. When the From: box includes domains like "Citibank.Google.RU" or some other weirdness, I hear that fact as my 'reader reads aloud the email headers. But my favorite is when I get stuff from senders that include emoji &/or those BoldCapitalItalicized fonts that my bank never uses & no legit business would touch for the same reason they wouldn't send email written in Comic Sans or Wingdings.

A subject line full of underlines, emoji, idiotic fonts that make the line an utter hell to listen to? It may LOOK pretty, but it SOUNDS like the marketing department has taken to eating their crayons & posting while tripping. =-/

2. MiguelC Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: "emails all the time purporting to be from my bank, Paypal (...)"

No need to be purporting to be PayPal, those arseholes really include a link in their emails, disguised as a button for the recipient to click, to sign into their account

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

• Cisco warns of security holes in its security appliances
    Bugs potentially useful for rogue insiders, admin account hijackers

Cisco has alerted customers to another four vulnerabilities in its products, including a high-severity flaw in its email and web security appliances. 

The networking giant has issued a patch for that bug, tracked as CVE-2022-20664. The flaw is present in the web management interface of Cisco's Secure Email and Web Manager and Email Security Appliance in both the virtual and hardware appliances. Some earlier versions of both products, we note, have reached end of life, and so the manufacturer won't release fixes; it instead told customers to migrate to a newer version and dump the old.

This bug received a 7.7 out of 10 CVSS severity score, and Cisco noted that its security team is not aware of any in-the-wild exploitation, so far. That said, given the speed of reverse engineering, that day is likely to come. 

Continue reading
  • OpenSea phishing threat after rogue insider leaks customer email addresses
    Worse, imagine someone finding out you bought one of its NFTs

The choppy waters continue at OpenSea, whose security boss this week disclosed the NFT marketplace suffered an insider attack that could lead to hundreds of thousands of people fending off phishing attempts.

An employee of OpenSea's email delivery vendor Customer.io "misused" their access to download and share OpenSea users' and newsletter subscribers' email addresses "with an unauthorized external party," Head of Security Cory Hardman warned on Wednesday. 

"If you have shared your email with OpenSea in the past, you should assume you were impacted," Hardman continued. 

Continue reading
  • Google: How we tackled this iPhone, Android spyware
    Watching people's every move and collecting their info – not on our watch, says web ads giant

Spyware developed by Italian firm RCS Labs was used to target cellphones in Italy and Kazakhstan — in some cases with an assist from the victims' cellular network providers, according to Google's Threat Analysis Group (TAG).

RCS Labs customers include law-enforcement agencies worldwide, according to the vendor's website. It's one of more than 30 outfits Google researchers are tracking that sell exploits or surveillance capabilities to government-backed groups. And we're told this particular spyware runs on both iOS and Android phones.

We understand this particular campaign of espionage involving RCS's spyware was documented last week by Lookout, which dubbed the toolkit "Hermit." We're told it is potentially capable of spying on the victims' chat apps, camera and microphone, contacts book and calendars, browser, and clipboard, and beam that info back to base. It's said that Italian authorities have used this tool in tackling corruption cases, and the Kazakh government has had its hands on it, too.

Continue reading
  • NSO claims 'more than 5' EU states use Pegasus spyware
    And it's like, what ... 12, 13,000 total targets a year max, exec says

NSO Group told European lawmakers this week that "under 50" customers use its notorious Pegasus spyware, though these customers include "more than five" European Union member states.

The surveillance-ware maker's General Counsel Chaim Gelfand refused to answer specific questions about the company's customers during a European Parliament committee meeting on Thursday. 

Instead, he frequently repeated the company line that NSO exclusively sells its spyware to government agencies — not private companies or individuals — and only "for the purpose of preventing and investigating terrorism and other serious crimes."

Continue reading
  • Google battles bots, puts Workspace admins on alert
    No security alert fatigue here

Google has added API security tools and Workspace (formerly G-Suite) admin alerts about potentially risky configuration changes such as super admin passwords resets.

The API capabilities – aptly named "Advanced API Security" – are built on top of Apigee, the API management platform that the web giant bought for $625 million six years ago.

As API data makes up an increasing amount of internet traffic – Cloudflare says more than 50 percent of all of the traffic it processes is API based, and it's growing twice as fast as traditional web traffic – API security becomes more important to enterprises. Malicious actors can use API calls to bypass network security measures and connect directly to backend systems or launch DDoS attacks.

Continue reading
  • Carnival Cruises torpedoed by US states, agrees to pay $6m after wave of cyberattacks
    Now those are some phishing boats

Carnival Cruise Lines will cough up more than $6 million to end two separate lawsuits filed by 46 states in the US after sensitive, personal information on customers and employees was accessed in a string of cyberattacks.

A couple of years ago, as the coronavirus pandemic was taking hold, the Miami-based biz revealed intruders had not only encrypted some of its data but also downloaded a collection of names and addresses; Social Security info, driver's license, and passport numbers; and health and payment information of thousands of people in almost every American state.

It all started to go wrong more than a year prior, as the cruise line became aware of suspicious activity in May 2019. This apparently wasn't disclosed until 10 months later, in March 2020.

Continue reading
  • Voicemail phishing emails steal Microsoft credentials
    As always, check that O365 login page is actually O365

Someone is trying to steal people's Microsoft 365 and Outlook credentials by sending them phishing emails disguised as voicemail notifications.

This email campaign was detected in May and is ongoing, according to researchers at Zscaler's ThreatLabz, and is similar to phishing messages sent a couple of years ago.

This latest wave is aimed at US entities in a broad array of sectors, including software security, security solution providers, the military, healthcare and pharmaceuticals, and the manufacturing and shipping supply chain, the researchers wrote this month.

Continue reading
  • Interpol anti-fraud operation busts call centers behind business email scams
    1,770 premises raided, 2,000 arrested, $50m seized

Law enforcement agencies around the world have arrested about 2,000 people and seized $50 million in a sweeping operation crackdown of social engineering and other scam operations around the globe.

In the latest action in the ongoing "First Light", an operation Interpol has coordinated annually since 2014, law enforcement officials from 76 countries raided 1,770 call centers suspected of running fraudulent operations such as telephone and romance scams, email deception scams, and financial crimes.

Among the 2,000 people arrested in Operation First Light 2022 were call center operators and fraudsters, and money launderers. Interpol stated that the operation also saw 4,000 bank accounts frozen and 3,000 suspects identified.

Continue reading
  • India extends deadline for compliance with infosec logging rules by 90 days
    Helpfully announced extension on deadline day

Updated India's Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) and the local Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In) have extended the deadline for compliance with the Cyber Security Directions introduced on April 28, which were due to take effect yesterday.

The Directions require verbose logging of users' activities on VPNs and clouds, reporting of infosec incidents within six hours of detection - even for trivial things like unusual port scanning - exclusive use of Indian network time protocol servers, and many other burdensome requirements. The Directions were purported to improve the security of local organisations, and to give CERT-In information it could use to assess threats to India. Yet the Directions allowed incident reports to be sent by fax – good ol' fax – to CERT-In, which offered no evidence it operates or would build infrastructure capable of ingesting or analyzing the millions of incident reports it would be sent by compliant organizations.

The Directions were roundly criticized by tech lobby groups that pointed out requirements such as compelling clouds to store logs of customers' activities was futile, since clouds don't log what goes on inside resources rented by their customers. VPN providers quit India and moved their servers offshore, citing the impossibility of storing user logs when their entire business model rests on not logging user activities. VPN operators going offshore means India's government is therefore less able to influence such outfits.

Continue reading
  • 'Prolific' NetWalker extortionist pleads guilty to ransomware charges
    Canadian stole $21.5m from dozens of companies worldwide

A former Canadian government employee has pleaded guilty in a US court to several charges related to his involvement with the NetWalker ransomware gang.

On Tuesday, 34-year-old Sebastien Vachon-Desjardins admitted he conspired to commit computer and wire fraud, intentionally damaged a protected computer, and transmitted a demand in relation to damaging a protected computer. 

He will also forfeit $21.5 million and 21 laptops, mobile phones, gaming consoles, and other devices, according to his plea agreement [PDF], which described Vachon-Desjardins as "one of the most prolific NetWalker Ransomware affiliates" responsible for extorting said millions of dollars from dozens of companies worldwide.

Continue reading

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022