back to article Tesla lawsuit alleges unlawful layoffs at Nevada gigafactory

Tesla is facing another lawsuit, and it's treading over old territory with this one. Fired Gigafactory workers are alleging that the electric car maker improperly terminated more than 500 people. The proposed class action suit, filed on Sunday, stems from an email owner Elon Musk sent to Tesla leaders in early June – no, not …

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

WARN employees they are being fired?

Is Nevada communist now?

No wonder he wants to move everything to Texas

1. Duncan Macdonald

Re: WARN employees they are being fired?

Either provide the warning as the act requires or provide the pay for the period. It usually takes at least weeks to find new employment and the warning (or pay) is to stop employees suddenly getting into debt problems while they try to find new employment.

Given the fact that getting health insurance as an individual in the US is very expensive, being suddenly terminated adds the uncertainty of no health insurance to the loss of income,

The requirement that Musk's companies obey the law is reasonable.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The requirement that Musk's companies obey the law is reasonable.

You see that's just what's holding the country back. These old laws are like asking Boeing to develop a ham sandwich.

We clearly need our most forward thinking billionaires to iteratively develop their own law that suits them better using the proven agile waterboarding pattern.

1. eldakka
          Coat

> the proven agile waterboarding pattern

Surely waterfall would be a better process to follow for waterboarding?

2. DS999 Silver badge

The WARN act is national law, not state law, and was signed into law by Ronald Reagan. So kinda hard to argue it is "communist", though modern republicans are so extremist if someone came along espousing Reagan's views he'd undoubtedly be branded as one for not bowing down to the orange insurrectionist.

I think by the standards of today's GOP, Nixon was a communist

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

...and Ghengis Khan was a bleeding heart liberal

1. Diogenes

And if Kennedy were alive today, he would probably be regarded as a Republican

1. Potemkine! Silver badge

Was he a far-right racist wingnut?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

... which is strange because it's my belief that the mess we are currently in is largely Regan's fault. (or his advisors)

1. ArrZarr Silver badge

Regan's presidency was so littered with terrible long-term decisions that I find myself perfectly willing to blame him for everything.

Stubbed my toe? Regan's fault.

Power cut? Regan's fault.

Wasp in the office? Regan's fault.

Wallowing in the existential horror of knowing that the late stage capitalist hell we're charging towards is unavoidable? Regan's fault.

3. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

It's not about individual terminations. It's about mass layoffs that overwhelm cities and unemployment services.

>overwhelm .... unemployment services.

Now I have a Reaganomics solution to that....

2. lglethal Silver badge
    Go

An Electric Battery factory in a town called Sparks...

Honestly, truth is so much stranger/dumber/ridiculouser than fiction...

PS I hope the folks get there Payouts and Tesla gets a swift kick in the gonads. Firing people without notice or reason can destroy people's lives. And if the management are so shit that they cant see lay-offs coming and provide at least two months notice then they are the ones who need to be removed from the firm as quickly as possible, not the workers...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Living in a neighboring community, the local saying is that "we are so close to hell, that we can see Sparks".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like