back to article Linux Foundation thinks it can get you interested in smartNICs

The Linux Foundation wants to make data processing units (DPUs) easier to deploy, with the launch of the Open Programmable Infrastructure (OPI) project this week. The program has already garnered support from several leading chipmakers, systems builders, and software vendors – Nvidia, Intel, Marvell, F5, Keysight, Dell Tech, …

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Why do I get the impression that we're re-inventing the mainframe?

With the article yesterday talking about how AMD nearly had a single processor for both x86 & ARM instructions, we've probably even closer than I thought.

2. nematoad

Oh.

"...these devices have been crafted to offload a growing number of infrastructure tasks including storage, networking, and security functions,"

I thought that that was systemd's job.

Looks like Redhat's right hand does not know what the left hand is doing.

3. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Stops

Where does it stop?

Should processor be dealing with data structures for instance? Maybe the next unicorn will be variable as a service bandwagon.

1. cookieMonster Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Stops

You might be on to something there……

1. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

Rent your electrons here!

// That's the article, there are adverts for Even More Useful Stuff [TM] in the sidebar.

2. Richard 12 Silver badge
      Coffee/keyboard

All I/O devices have had internal computing since the very first serial connected mouse and keyboard.

The only real change here is that the buyer is now intentionally being given the ability to write firmware for the CPU that was already there.

The most obvious use is of course hypervisors, as this allows it to offload all the virtual-NIC processing to the physical NIC. It just needs to upload custom NIC firmware at boot, then tell it what needs to be done to properly filter packets to the VMs it's hosting.

Of course, it also gives guests and external attackers a new and exciting way to compromise the host...

Of course, it also gives guests and external attackers a new and exciting way to compromise the host

I thought this had already been done with hard drive controller chips?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like