back to article Europe's most powerful supercomputer is an all-AMD beast

HPE has scored another supercomputing win with the inauguration of the LUMI system at the IT Center for Science, Finland, which as of this month is ranked as Europe's most powerful supercomputer. Picture from LUMI data center construction site at CSC's data center in Kajaani, Finland, 05/2020. Image: Esa Heiskanen, CSC (JPEG 4 …

1. msroadkill

It seems flawed "green" logic to "entirely" run it on hydro power.

Hydro is the precious equivalent of the battery, as an antidote to the intermittent nature of most other green power sources

1. Korev Silver badge

That depends on the country. Here in Switzerland the majority of power is from hydroelectic.

2. MacroRodent
      Boffin

Hydro?

I don't know the actual details, but I don't think it it just has wires going to some hydroelectric plant. Far more likely it is in the local "Fingrid" system like everyone else here, and uses hydro just in the sense of paying to hydroelectric companies in preference to other types of energy suppliers. Fingrid gets its power from a mix of sources, you can see a fascinating near-real-time display of Finnish energy generation broken down by energy sources (nuclear, hydro etc), consumption, exports and imports here:

https://www.fingrid.fi/en/electricity-market/power-system/

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Hydro?

That's a pity - I was hoping for some more direct link

Instead of the fans on your desktop kicking in when you run x264, you could tell how hard it was working by the amount of water flowing out of the dam

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like