back to article Feds raid dark web market selling data on 24 million Americans

US law enforcement has shut down another dark web market, seizing and dismantling SSNDOB, a site dealing in stolen personal information. Led by the IRS' criminal investigation division, the DOJ, and the FBI, the investigation gained control of four of SSNDOB's domains, hobbling its ability to generate cash. The agents said it …

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Devil

No Doubt...

If this info was on non-Americans they would have seized if for their own use.

1. doublelayer Silver badge

Re: No Doubt...

The FBI really needs a bunch of tiny identifiers for foreign nationals, the kind they could get in bulk by breaking into databases or asking the police in those countries for a copy. The kind that's mostly useful for quickly slipping in to steal money then vanishing.

When the American government (or others, there are others) spy on innocent people, it's for a lot more information than birth date and tax ID. There are lots of ways for them to get that without hacking and little benefit to them in having just those.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

SSN

Dear American businesses and bits of government.

If you are going to use SSN as a unique identifier (which you are explicitly told not to do) please don't assume it is somehow a secret private key that proves the holder is that person.

1. Irony Deficient Silver badge

(which you are explicitly told not to do)

Bits of the US government have used the Social Security Number as a unique identifier since 1943 (see Executive Order 9397, which was modified by Executive Order 13478 in 2008). The incrementally increasing use of the SSN as a unique identifier was shown in this 1998 New York Times article, and one could have hoped that the aftereffects of the 2017 Equifax data breach might have demonstrated the folly of that policy.

2. chivo243 Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: SSN

Thank you sir!

My SSN was my employee number at many jobs... Glad most of them have gone titsup! Perhaps my SSN is only marginally safe?

1. fidodogbreath Silver badge

Re: SSN

It was my student ID number in college. We were encouraged to write it on textbooks and the like to prove positive ownership if an item was lost or stolen.

So if someone finds one of my old textbooks, they can take out a mortgage in my name.

3. HereAndGone

Dark Web?

While there is no true definition of what constitutes "The Dark Web", its use here implies capabilities not in evidence. Just look at the four domains listed on the FBI seizure graphic: ssndob.ws, ssndob.vip, ssndob.club, blackjob.biz.

These are not hidden servers on Tor. No amazing sleuthing was performed. To call this "Dark Web" stretches even a vague definition.

1. Androgynous Cow Herd
      Joke

Re: Dark Web?

All of the web is Dark Web since I enabled Dark mode in this browser

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Funny how the feds go after these folks while the same thing is simply BAU for big tech/finance/health.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022