back to article Ampere: Cloud biz buy-ins prove our Arm server CPUs are the real deal

After two years of claiming that its Arm-powered server processors provide better performance and efficiency for cloud applications than Intel or AMD's, Ampere Computing said real deployments by cloud providers and businesses are proving its chips are the real deal. The Silicon Valley startup held its Annual Strategy and …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Comparisons

Using Intel's Ice Lake is a bit of a red herring since Intel is currently producing its successor, Sapphire Rapids (which is being used for the Aurora supercomputer) although there cloud optimized processor is still a ways out. It makes the comparisons a bit suspect.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Comparisons

Funny. I didn't think I could buy an Intel SR CPU yet. Where can I get one?

2. Morten Bjoernsvik

Real benchmarks please

Larger L1 and L2 caches and high core density and 5nm taping sound expensive. Price/performance benchmarks please. Arm risc may be easier to optimize than cisc, so it would be nice to see.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Real benchmarks please

Their market isn't about "price/performance", it is price/efficiency at a whole host of factors.

2. Vikingforties

Re: Real benchmarks please

Performance bit was done by Anandtech a while ago. https://www.anandtech.com/show/16979/the-ampere-altra-max-review-pushing-it-to-128-cores-per-socket/4

The price part is variable given that these are generally for large volume purchase. What isn't as flexible are the power costs so performance efficiency is important.

3. Aegrotatio

Amazon Graviton?

What? No mention of AWS Graviton?

4. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Holmes

Certainly looks interesting

I never did really understand why, once they had multiple cores, Intel and AMD went down the shared cache, FPU, etc. avenue. It seems a no-brainer that it was liable to cause contention issues.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Certainly looks interesting

Well, not a no brainer. There was a 4-bit CPU from their ancient days running the AI decision maker. :)

5. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like