back to article Despite 'key' partnership with AWS, Meta taps up Microsoft Azure for AI work

Meta’s AI business unit set up shop in Microsoft Azure this week and announced a strategic partnership it says will advance PyTorch development on the public cloud. The deal [PDF] will see Mark Zuckerberg’s umbrella company deploy machine-learning workloads on thousands of Nvidia GPUs running in Azure. While a win for …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

Different strokes for different data

Since I don't run a mega meta multinational, I've never researched it, but it makes sense that each cloudy provider has its strengths and weaknesses (although finding them goes beyond cloudy and into foggy or even pea soup territory).

But I suspect that Suckerberg's primary concern is making sure he has an appendage (let's say feet in AWS and Azure, arms in Google and IBM) because that lets him bully the clouds into discounts and perks with the threat of shifting his business among them.

2. Claptrap314 Silver badge
    Pint

Perfect!

Any data not deliberately sold by Facebook can now be siphoned off from Azure!

For crying in... ----------->

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Of course. AWS is a zoo of crappy open source crud bolted together whereas Azure is an integrated single entity.

1. Robert Grant

Maybe you should try Azure.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like