back to article Leica and Huawei terminate trading agreement amid US sanctions

Huawei's long established trading relationship with Leica to integrate the German camera maker's technology into its phones is over, the companies have confirmed. From February 2016, all Huawei flagships were slated [PDF] to have Leica-developed lenses and branding. The Reg was generally quite impressed by the combined …

1. VoiceOfTruth Silver badge

Economic war by the world's bully

China should have retaliated, it's the only language the USA understands. China may still do so. They could refuse to buy another Boeing.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Economic war by the world's bully

>China should have retaliated

China thinks long-term - revenge will be served cold.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Cold food may be hard to digest...

2. Danny 2

"They could refuse to buy another Boeing."

Well one Chinese pilot clearly agreed with you. Even the worst Boeing doesn't hit the planet at 90°.

2. Tom 38

I've got one of the last google enabled Huawei, a P30 Pro with Leica lenses, and the pictures it takes are just fantastic.Think I'll keep this for at least another couple of years, but I guess it's Xiaomai next..

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Given the spec's of the (2019) P30 range, its a shame Huawei haven't continue this model, following the 2020

New Editon with a further refresh (including an Android upgrade?). Yes it might no longer be high-end, but it still compares well with 2023 mid-range offerings and given its secondhand price is circa £160...

1. imanidiot Silver badge

They probably couldn't get access to later (non EOL) chips due to the sanctions.

3. Eclectic Man Silver badge

Leica mobile

Leica already produces a mobile phone: https://leica-camera.com/en-GB/World-of-Leica/Leitz-Phone-1

But it is only available in Japan

4. FlamingDeath Silver badge

Customised capitalism

5. Danny 2

Putin's Law

"German optics giant jumps ship to make smartphone cameras for Xiaomi instead"

It's an East German company so naturally it would side with the Commies. I know, technically Leica is in NATO occupied Germany, but for how long comrades?

[In my defence, the only time I went behind the Iron Curtain was because I got on the wrong train. It was not nice, like a nation of Grangemouths]

1. david 12 Silver badge

Re: Putin's Law

It was not nice, like a nation of Grangemouths

My brother traveled in East Germany soon after re-unification, and said it was like working with ex-prisoners: argot, odd body of knowledge, pasty skin and cigarette currency.

2. Falmari Silver badge

@ Danny 2 “It's an East German company”

Leitz (changed to Leica 1986) were based in Wetzlar in Hesse which was part of West Germany.

3. imanidiot Silver badge

Did you get Leica mixed up with Zeiss perchance?

1. Lars Silver badge
        Happy

"Did you get Leica mixed up with Zeiss perchance?".

That won't make Danny 2s comment any less idiotic as,

"ZEISS, is a German manufacturer of optical systems and optoelectronics, founded in Jena, Germany in 1846 by optician Carl Zeiss. Together with Ernst Abbe (joined 1866) and Otto Schott (joined 1884) he laid the foundation for today's multi-national company.".

Do people actually believe East Germany become East Germany because they, the people, wanted it.

East Germany lasted from 1949 to 1990, no longer than about 40 years.

Remember "tear down the wall" by Regan.

For some odd reason Margret Thatcher did not join all those other heads of state for those celebrations.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like