back to article Screencastify fixes bug that would have let rogue websites spy on webcams

Screencastify, a popular Chrome extension for capturing and sharing videos from websites, was recently found to be vulnerable to a cross-site scripting (XSS) flaw that allowed arbitrary websites to dupe people into unknowingly activating their webcams. A miscreant taking advantage of this flaw could then download the resulting …

1. iron Silver badge

You may be able to start my webcam without my permission but you'll get a black video due to the lens cover and I'll spot it immediately due to the light that turns on when recording.

Always get a webcam with a physical cover and an indicator that it is recording and always close the cover after use. That way no-one can make a compromising video without your knowledge.

1. tiggity Silver badge

My personal laptop has black tape over the inbuilt webcam as I'm not going to be using it for anything.

Work laptop has physical switch to cover the inbuilt webcam lens, so lens always covered apart from occasional online meeting where some boss people actually want to see video of you instead of avatar image.

2. Danny 2

Electrical tape also works, and is presumably cheaper.

This is England 2022, who would want to spy on school children? Sir Jimmy Savile is dead, and Prince Andrew is busy with jubilee celebrations.

My point being, this is more serious than you seem to think. Not for you or me maybe - me picking my nose or having a wank - but for school kids.

Won't somebody think of the children? No, not you, stop that.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like