back to article Neuromorphic chips 'up to 16 times more energy efficient' for deep learning

Neuromorphic chips have been endorsed in research showing that they are much more energy efficient at operating large deep learning networks than non-neuromorphic hardware. This may become important as AI adoption increases. The study was carried out by the Institute of Theoretical Computer Science at the Graz University of …

1. John Robson Silver badge

More inefficient -> less inefficient?

Semantics

2. Filippo Silver badge

4 to 16?

Considering how vastly different a computer is from a neural network, I'd expect far bigger gains to be possible.

I assume that the main reason AI researchers aren't using neuromorphic chips everywhere is that such chips probably aren't very flexible when you want to change your model of how a neuron works, or how it connects to other neurons.

I expect that once those points are reasonably clear, running models on neuromorphic chips should become far more common. Especially if you want to run larger and larger models.

3. Danny 2

Brain-inspired computing needs a master plan

That's the scariest sentence I've read this year, in a year of traumatising sentences. Neuromorphic is a scarier word than thermobaric.

I'm sure you can do it, but dinnae dae it. Just dinnae. Put the development on the back burner for a decade or three, maybe rip-up the master plan.

My laptop is fine, my phone is fine, my connectivity is fine. Stop the bus I want to get off.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Brain-inspired computing needs a master plan

Stop the bus I want to get off....... Danny 2

Methinks the chance of that and those other requests being heeded and granted are as likely as if you asked for night not to follow day because of the fact, in the shade and shadows of darkness, virtual virulent preparations for tomorrow allows for all manner of remote changes to practical matters that were thought to be of vital significant importance yesterday to be presented again dressed up in another novel solution for further development researching future daily event production for subsequent generations/iteration, and such is all part and parcel of a Grand Suite of Greater AImighty IntelAIgent Master Plans ......... akin to a veritable Magical Mystery Tour of Helter Skelter Rides.

You'll love it. What's not to like?

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

If you’d like some further evidence of such as be Advanced Astute Agile Novel NEUKlearer HyperRadioProACTive IT Development[s], the following is pretty indicative of the current state of future progress, and to whom/which type of parties it may very well be of abiding particular peculiar especial interest .......

amanfromMars [2205250943] ...... shares on https://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/articles/2022/5/25/navy-eyes-next-gen-tech-to-transform-shipyards

The digital twins technology/methodology, and I would submit it is THE future leading protocol to master with/for remote command and absolute control, and it can be used for any environment, is essentially a creative virtual reality renderer which provides pictures and blueprints of products and services which are being specifically designed by Advanced IntelAIgent Sources and Forces to engage and employ humanity to follow and copy/construct and administer.

However, to imagine and expect it exclusive and only available to Uncle Sam centric forces and home grown sources is not a realistic possibility whenever there be others aware of the programs utility/facilities/strengths with no apparent underlying weaknesses unless or until such be thought to be introduced and manufactured.

Do you know of any other similar development able to present and demonstrate itself as a viable virulent virtualised, easily applied, mentored and monitored master plan ..... for that is what it professes to be capable of supplying and providing for ?

I Kid U Not.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> as likely as if you asked for night not to follow day

Clearly day follows night, so there may be some chance after all.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like