back to article CockroachDB adds command line tool as database hits version 22.1

Cockroach Labs has finally added a new command line tool with the release of version 22.1 of its eponymous database, out today. Although it was possible to deploy CockroachDB using something like Terraform (for example, deployment on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure) the process is often not particularly elegant. "Until this …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm sure it's a wonderful database but...CockRoach?

Sounds like malware you can never really get rid of. Why use a name usually associated with an unpleasant experience?

1. claimed Bronze badge
    2. Gene Cash Silver badge

At least you can sort of search for it...

There's a FOSS version of Visio called "Dia" - good luck finding info on that! There's LOTS of things with the acronym "DIA"

3. F. Frederick Skitty Silver badge

It's a distributed database that's supposed to be so resilient that killing it is as hard as getting rid of cockroaches. I quite like the naming because of that analogy!

2. Down not across

*less

"I am fascinated by the serverless thing," said Walker, "I think it should be called Infrastructureless, eventually, I think that's really what this thing becomes… what we're doing it is we're preparing it so that it can actually work for huge massive applications."

This irks me. Without some server and infrastructure, there is nothing to run the stuff on. Yes it might be somewhat opaque to the end user, but there has to be server and networking somewhere.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like