back to article A peek into Gigabyte's GPU Arm for AI, HPC shops

Arm-based servers continue to gain momentum with Gigabyte Technology introducing a system based on Ampere's Altra processors paired with Nvidia A100 GPUs, aimed at demanding workloads such as AI training and high-performance compute (HPC) applications. The G492-PD0 runs either an Ampere Altra or Altra Max processor, the latter …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ARM is the new Oracle

This developing scam campaign of "ARM SystemReady" is to stifle the uptake of RISC-V to put ARM into some future lock-in-for-life license scheme similar to Oracle. RISC-V is the threat to ARM similar to how Linux is a threat to Windows, except much more so (although Linux clearly killed all things mobile for Microsoft).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: ARM is the new Oracle

Linux didn't kill all things mobile for Microsoft. Microsoft fucked that up all on their own.

2. druck Silver badge

Re: ARM is the new Oracle

Utter rubbish, ARM aren't looking to lock in anybody, these types of systems are being adopted on merit and merit alone. Customers are migrating to them from x86, and could just as easily go elsewhere if the ARM ecosystem doesn't meet their needs.

2. timrowledge

I’m with druck on this (hi druck!)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

big, or small

I occasionally find myself wishing for something in-between this sort of high-end beastie, and a Raspberry Pi.

Mind, I like my little rpi4 just fine, thanks very much, but for some duties it might be nice to have a few memory slots, some PCI slots, SAS/SATA and so on, perhaps in a standard ITX-sized package, rather than just the USB and HDMI which Raspberry Pi Foundation designed into the tidy little buggers.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like