back to article Lawmakers launch bill to break up tech giants' ad dominance

A bipartisan group of US lawmakers has proposed legislation that would likely force Alphabet's Google, Meta's Facebook, and Amazon to divest portions of their ad businesses. The bill, called the Competition and Transparency in Digital Advertising Act (CTDA), was introduced on Thursday by Senator Mike Lee (R-UT), with the …

1. bronskimac

Ted Cruz putting his name to something that isn't right wing batshit crazy!

1. stiine Silver badge

I agree, but was going to say it this way: If Ted Cruz is sponsoring it, its shit.

2. Duncan Macdonald

How much ?

How much will it cost Google in "campaign contributions" to kill this bill ?

The US - the country with the best government that money can buy !!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is the revenue limit just there, cause anything smaller isn't worth pursuing?

Doesn't seem like the obvious conflict of interest goes away if it's 1 billion dollars or just $100.

I support the spirit of this regardless though.

1. lglethal Silver badge
      Go

It's usually just like this because the Justice Department doesnt have that many people and so they can only afford to go after the big fish.

However, it's always seemed a bit of a daft way to go about it. For me, I would have the justice department go after some relatively small fish (say $10-50million bucks worth). Get convictions, and get the case law sorted. THEN go after the big fish and there ridiculously high priced lawyers who can afford to fight you on every single minor technical point for the next decade. If the case law is there, their wiggle room disappears, and they wont be able to fight with anything like there usual vehemence.

But I guess going after the small fry that no one outside of the industry has heard of first doesnt make headlines quickly enough for the politicians...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like