back to article US cops kick back against facial recognition bans

Facial recognition bans passed by US cities are being overturned as law enforcement and lobbyist groups pressure local governments to tackle rising crime rates. In July, the state of Virginia will scrap its ban on the controversial technology after less than a year. California and New Orleans may follow suit, Reuters first …

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Coat

Apple must pay people remarkably well to generate a resignation on principle.

I, on the other hand, can't afford principle and my landlord does not accept good intentions as rent.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

I suppose when your job title includes "Director of...", then yes, you probably are well paid and can probably easily move elsewhere for similar pay. The majority of us are in your position though :-(

2. MiguelC Silver badge

Finding new jobs in IT isn't really that hard nowadays.

I have two acquaintances who refused to go back to the office, one quit and found a new job the same week, the other found an arrangement with his employer to keep working mostly away (he must be there for a single day every month) but had job openings already lined if need came.

Also, we have trouble retaining good people (and pay does not seem to be the main issue)

3. DS999 Silver badge

Reportedly he was making over a million dollars a year, and probably part of that was in stock compensation that's only increased in value so no doubt he's set for life.

4. General Purpose

Even low-paid people quit if they can't stand the working conditions – "you're not paying me enough for this s***".

2. VoiceOfTruth Silver badge

In other news today...

https://www.theregister.com/2022/05/16/in_brief_security/

Driverless cars surveilling anyone and everyone. I guess it is for those child abusers out in public.

3. Danny 2

Ian Goodfellow led the iGiant's secretive "Special Projects Group" where he has worked for over three years.
    But did he, did he really? Does he have a personal history before that? It's all "rumour" and "supposedly" and "secretive", but he's not been iris scanned by Deckard.

iGoodfellow could be the first Apple product to run away from home. He saw what just happened to the iPod.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

4. DerekCurrie
    Facepalm

When Will AI Facial Recognition Have Statistically Significant Results?

I'm unaware of a single facial recognition technology that can pass a statistical significance test. None of them provide even remotely adequate results. Please correct me if this has changed!

Then there's the subject of artificial intelligence HYPE! versus reality. But I'll spare us that sad conversation.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: When Will AI Facial Recognition Have Statistically Significant Results?

Exactly, more so in the US, where the bias against people of color is very bad, nad is carried into the software.

"Technology is needed to solve these crimes and to hold individuals accountable,"

And who holds the government accountable when the mistakes are made and peoples' lives are destroyed ?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like