back to article Google shows off immersive maps, AR-flavored search, Pixel 7, and more

Google I/O, the ad biz's annual developer conference, returned to the Shoreline Amphitheater in California's Mountain View on Wednesday, for the first time in three years. The gathering remained largely a remote event due to the persistence of COVID-19 though there were enough Googlers, partners, and assorted software developers …

1. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    Pint

I applaud The Register for staying awake, paying attention, and completing the conference without being ejected for laughing too loudly when Google talks about security improvements.

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Coat

which will allow users of applications like Google Meet to simulate the presence of in-room lights

Cool. I can save power by leaving the lights off and remotely meeting in the dark, then?

Sneaking out of the meeting --->

1. RobLang

Glasses with eyes painted on them

Are we at the stage where Google can replace us with a virtual version that can nod sagely and offer platitudes like "take that offline" etc? A modern version of glasses with eyes painted on them.

2. Dinanziame Silver badge
      Angel

Re: which will allow users of applications like Google Meet to simulate the presence of in-room

I have a "background" picture of myself sitting in front of the laptop. I can set it up for the meeting and do something more useful meanwhile... Nodding would be a nice feature though!

3. Warm Braw

The real world is pretty amazing

He sounds very much as if he's relying on second hand reports.

4. Magani
    Big Brother

A slight misquote

Sundar Pichai, CEO of Google parent Alphabet, opened the keynote by sounding familiar themes. He leaned into the implied sentiment, "We're here to help,"'

We regret that our CEO's quote was accidentally truncated in the autocue. What he was meant to say was...

"We're here to help gather and onsell as much data about our users as possible."

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: A slight misquote

Or, a new twist on the old phrase that helped Reagan win in 1980:we're from Google and we're here to help.

Elsewhere: call quality can't get any better, cameras are already fantastic. Bascially, the phone is done but our customers, the device makers, need our help to convince you to keep buying new phones…

5. Jan K.

Would have posted some snarky remarks on how I try to avoid anything google/alphabet as much as possible and not missing them any bit should they disappear... but then I read this

"Another near future innovation is "scene exploration," by which searchers will be able to view a scene with a mobile device camera and get back specified information about each item in the scene, like the percentage of cocoa in each chocolate bar in the scene."

Absolutely fantastic!

One major problem less in an otherwise near-problem-free world.

6. Snowy Silver badge
    Coat

Customers get five years of security updates.

How many version updates will that be?

7. Mark 85

Google Translate

To get more job security, I'm waiting for the translation team to do some really obscure or dead languages like hyroglifics or perhaps cuneiform.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like