back to article Cloud a three-player market dominated by AWS, Google, Microsoft

AWS, Microsoft, and Google collectively harvested 65 percent of global spend on cloud computing in Q1 2022 and outgrew their competition to the extent that their collective dominance leaves rivals with only niches to explore. So says US-based Synergy Research Group, which crunched the numbers from Q1 earnings data and found …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Containerisation is the best way to reduce big 3 dependence

If the apps are built to run in their own contained runtimes, it should be easy to negotiate and migrate from one cloud vendor to another or have a hybrid setup. Problem is when we go for proprietary solutions that are only provided by Amazon or Microsoft for short term gains and end up in an expensive lock in.

1. Robert Grant

Re: Containerisation is the best way to reduce big 3 dependence

This is why I like GCP the most. The open source tools I happen to prefer work particularly well on there, and in some cases originated at Google.

(Not affiliated, although it sounds as though I am. Currently an Azure customer at work.)

2. EricB123 Bronze badge

Sexy is Different than Important

So an important topic like the future of the cloud being owned by a few big players gets only 1 comment (now doubling to 2 comments by my post), while other less important topics getting tens or more comments...

How many comments were generated yesteryear when The Register reported on by then Facebook buying Instgram and WhatsApp? Thoight so/

3. VoiceOfTruth Silver badge

We use AWS, we also tried Oracle

AWS for some (many?) uses is an absolute no-brainer. Not having to buy hardware for some cases, no lead times, etc. There's a few things that need to be learned and understood about AWS, but get past those and it's a doddle. It's not suitable for all cases, but where it is it's hard to beat.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like