back to article NASA taps commercial partners for near-Earth communications network

NASA is lavishing a combined $278.5m on six US companies for near-Earth space communication services. The cash is for the development and demonstration of services that the agency will use as its existing Tracking Data and Relay Satellite (TDRS) fleet is decommissioned. The geostationary TDRS satellites enable communication …

1. DarkwavePunk

Kuiper

I find it amusing that Blue Origin hasn't even made it into orbit, the Ariane 6 isn't finished yet, and the BE-4 engine (Blue Origin again) isn't ready to go for the Vulcan Centaur. Maybe Kuiper will launch on rainbow farting unicorns.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Kuiper

Or a broomstick...

I think the basic idea is "we can't just GIVE it to SpaceX, even though they're the only viable bidder, we have to make it look like some sort of an impartial competition"

1. zuckzuckgo Silver badge

They may have to rely on SpaceX in the near term but over the long term I think they don't want to be reliant on one operator. After all they could go out of business or ownership control could change.

Who knows, Elon could use Twitter to take SpaceX public through a reverse takeover manoeuvre. Then all space communications could be done by tweet.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
          Coffee/keyboard

"Who knows, Elon could use Twitter to take SpaceX public through a reverse takeover manoeuvre. Then all space communications could be done by tweet."

See icon!!!! ------------------>

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like