back to article Ex-eBay security director to plead guilty to cyberstalking

A now-former eBay security director accused of harassing a couple who wrote a critical newsletter about the internet tat bazaar is set to plead guilty to cyberstalking. James Baugh, of San Jose, California, was charged with conspiracy to commit cyberstalking and conspiracy to tamper with witnesses, alongside six former …

1. Spamolot

We're sorry... we got caught

eBay is very, very sorry for this unfortunate mix up. Once our security team were discovered, we disowned them and disavowed all action taken by them in protecting eBay. We will strive to do better and not get caught next time.

2. First Light

Charming people

I suspect this has to do with Judge Saris denying Baugh's motion to allow in evidence relating to his alleged past undercover work for the Bureau. He was trying to show that his tactics as a private actor were permitted by the Feds for law enforcement purposes and therefore didn't constitute harassment, if I understand correctly. It's obvious BS given the entirely different nature of what he was doing for Ebay, and the judge saw it that way.

Also former SVP Wymer was somehow hired as CEO of a nonprofit childrens' organization, the Boys and Girls Club of Silicon Valley, despite giving carte blanche to Baugh in the following message:

"I genuinely believe these people are acting out of malice and ANYTHING we can do to solve it should be explored. Somewhere, at some point, someone chose to let this slide. It has grown to a point that is absolutely unacceptable. It’s the “blind eye toward graffiti that turns into mayhem” syndrome and I’m sick about it. Whatever. It. Takes."

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/USCOURTS-mad-1_20-cr-10263/pdf/USCOURTS-mad-1_20-cr-10263-2.pdf

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

Can we bid on the sentence?

Now that he’s pleaded guilty.

4. Potemkine! Silver badge

Wickedness is the commodity the easiest to find.

In that case, I'm very surprised that employees decided spontaneously to target people who were critics towards their company. I find it very unplausible that eBay as a company has no involvement at all in this.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

As per the article : "[eBay] cooperated fully and extensively with law enforcement authorities throughout the process".

I'm going to leave eBay the benefit of the doubt. A former FBI goon turned security officer obviously forgot that he wasn't working for the FBI any more, and used the usual procedures a tad too automatically.

That says a lot more about the FBI than it does about eBay.

1. doublelayer Silver badge

That's from eBay's statement, not the journalist's summary of the situation. They had to cooperate with law enforcement to some extent by that point because not doing so is a crime. We also don't know what, if anything, they did to help law enforcement. My guess is they provided data for which the police had a warrant, which they're required to do. It's like saying I cooperated with the police after they arrested me by not trying to escape the cell I was put in.

A better statement would be that they undertook an investigation of who knew what exactly when, made it public, and informed law enforcement. They haven't done that.

1. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
          Unhappy

Agreed

Having worked many years in Silicon Valley, there's not a shred of doubt that eBay management set the corporate culture from which Dumb & Dumber operated.

1. JimC

Who will

rid me of this turbulent priest?

1. Doctor Evil

Re: Who will

... rid me of this turbulent priest?

"I will, sir."

"Shut up, Baldrick!"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like