back to article Auctioneer puts Space Shuttle CPUs under the hammer

Boston-based auction house RR Auction currently has an out of this world item up for bid: IBM computers collectively used aboard twenty Space Shuttle missions. Between 1981 and 1991, NASA used computers with separate CPU and IOP (input/output processor) components. The CPU and IOP on offer saw the insides of the Columbia, …

1. Warm Braw

Instruction set architecture from IBM's mainframe System/360

Does it come with a card deck to IPL OS/360 MFT?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Instruction set architecture from IBM's mainframe System/360

Unfortunately the license is not in planet Earth

1. EVP
        Coat

Re: Instruction set architecture from IBM's mainframe System/360

License price must be sky high.

2. Dynamite
    Mushroom

Important question

The most important questions that should have been asked: 1) Can it run Doom? 2) How long will it take for someone to figure out how to use it to play Doom? 3) Can it also play Crysis?

1. 45RPM Silver badge

Re: Important question

You beat me to it. At the very least, it should be able to play Tetris.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge
        Alien

Space Invaders, surely?

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Hmm. I wonder how feasible that would be? Then if it'd be possible to write Lunar Lander.

1. EVP

Elite. I hope the deck comes with sound support.

2. bazza Silver badge

1) No, 2) Never, 3) Well, we ain't found anything else that can, so it's probably not worth getting excited.

3. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

surprisingly down-to-Earth prices

$50k ?

bargain , yeah , The Missus' birthday is comin up ...

4. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
    Happy

Showing up on the "curiousmarc" YouTube channel in 3...2...1....

1. Manolo
      Thumb Up

Came here just to see if someone had already mentioned him and once again, The Vulture's readership does not disappoint.

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

The advantage of selling something physical. It seems the NFT of Jack Dorsey's first tweet attracted bids in the low hundreds of dollars when re-offered for sale.

1. heyrick Silver badge

Jack Dorsey

Who?

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
        Paris Hilton

Re: Jack Dorsey

I've heard Tommy Dorsey.

And I know who this is -->

2. Hero Protagonist
        Joke

Re: Jack Dorsey

So what you’re saying is, you don’t know jack?

2. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

"NFT of Jack Dorsey's first tweet struggles to sell"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61102759

The buyer of a non-fungible token (NFT) of Twitter co-founder Jack Dorsey's first tweet says he "may never sell it" after receiving a series of low bids.

Malaysia-based Sina Estavi has been offered just over $6,200 (£4,720), about 0.2% of the $2.9m he paid for it.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

LOL, the fact he tried to sell tells it all. He thought he was !investing! in something that would give a quick and high return. Clearly the other high bidders who he beat out at the original auction have come to their senses and are no longer interested :-)

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

But think of the tax write-off.

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

I dont think "tax write-off" is the magical blank cheque people seem to think it is .

2. Ian Johnston Silver badge

He paid $2.9m for it a year ago and expected to get at least $25m for it this year.

3. iron Silver badge

He's also recently out of Iranian prison for running crypto scams and is rather desparately in need of cash.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

It must have gone up a bit since I first read it. Hang in there. You might get it up to a couple of percent.

1. Androgynous Cow Herd

sooner or later

someone will figure out that NFTs are best used for money laundering- in theory

1. Tom 7

Re: sooner or later

There is a court case going on where the advisor to someone accusing someone else of libel has lost her phone overboard when asked to hand it over to the defence and is now claiming her computer was wiped by accident when told to hand that over. I think the only use for NFTs is probably as an "I spent the money on one and then lost the computer" ponzi scheme!

3. dvd

Hah! At least during tulipmania you got a tulip bulb!

6. the reluctant commentard

CuriousMarc's next project?

Once he's done resurrecting Apollo era electronics, maybe CuriousMarc and his team can turn their attention to these pieces of NASA technology?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3bosUr3WlKYm4sBaLs-Adw

1. 9Rune5

Re: CuriousMarc's next project?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assert that this piece of hardware will be easier to restore than the AGM.

The AGM restoration; I was only going to watch five minutes of the second episode. I ended up sitting through the whole thing (30-odd episodes?).

It is mindboggling how much good content there is on YT. The production value is usually sub-par compared with commercial TV, but the actual content is pure gold in comparison.

1. Tom 7

Its finding it and wasting a lot of your life being shown 5 meaningless seconds of an advert before you get to it!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You don't use an ad blocker? I haven't seen an advert on Youtube in more than five years...

Let me guess, you use Chrome?

1. Snowy Silver badge
            Coat

My guess is you have not heard of uBlock Origin, that blocks ads on Youtube and runs on Chrone.

1. RegGuy1 Silver badge

But who'd want to use Chrome? Excluding those who've been lobotomised of course.

1. M.V. Lipvig Silver badge

And what's the alternative? Pretty much everyone is using Chromium these days. I use Opera, which I don't think is Chromium, but everyone else seems to be using it.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> Its finding it and wasting a lot of your life being shown 5 meaningless seconds of an advert before you get to it!

Freetube

3. 9Rune5

The algorithm has been effective in my case.

Somebody here turned me onto AvE's channel. From there I accidentally dropped onto the 8-bit guy's content (sadly, his excellent 'Tech companies of Texas' series did not attract adequate viewing numbers, so he discontinued it). That earned me a recommendation to get to CuriousMarc's stuff, and by then the damage had already been done. Hooked, hooked and hooked.

A year ago the 8-bit guy mentioned Mouser a few times. Turns out they ship stuff to Sweden. It wasn't even a paid advert, but mission accomplished. Have bought quite many boxes from them since.

7. Phones Sheridan Silver badge

Genuine question here. Some decades ago, a very technical friend I met at the Uni I went to, and had no reason to doubt, told me they used Z80B processors on the shuttle, because it only had <insert a number here I can't remember> official documented errors and therefore it was approved for "USE-IN-SPAAAAACE". They apparently could not use the then current 486, or previous x86 processors, because too many errors were still being discovered, and NASA liked to work with hardware that had not had newly discovered errors in a defined period of time. To this day I've genuinely believed this, because it made sense, but old me is starting to have doubts. It may not have been the Z80B after all, but is there anyone here that can confirm the essence of what I've believed all this time, or is this one of those urban legends, or something that may have started off as true and got carried away etc.

1. Tom 7

It may be there were no available space hardened versions. For use in space because of the increased radiation everything on the chips were built bigger to reduce the chance of radiation causing glitches. A bigger z80 is a lot more feasible than a bigger 486 and if it does the job then there is no need to go to the massive expense of producing a space hardened device that is at the edge of technology at normal size.

8. bazza Silver badge

"Old" hardware does get used a lot in space. This Wikipedia page lists rad-hardened CPUs, and there's nothing there with oodles of computing grunt.

My fav is the RCA1802 - a truly unique CPU with clock rates down to zero. It got used (so far as I can remember) in both BT pay phones and the first version of the US's Tomahawk cruise missile.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

My fav is the RCA1802 - a truly unique CPU

Which goes to show that you havn't programmed one. An 8 bit cpu without call and return.

with clock rates down to zero.

And up to, well not that much higher than zero (200k instruction rate)

Not that instruction set deficiencies ever stopped anyone...

http://www.forth.org/svfig/kk/10-2014-Rabbie.pdf

It was my first processor. Apart from being almost the only really low power mpu, you could dma your program straight into memory from switches, so no monitor rom was needed.

All you needed was an '1802, cmos ram, and two hex* switches to set the instructions and a push button to write them, and you have a complete computer. 1 output bit, but that was sufficient for a morse beacon keyer.

Excellent training for when I had to bootstrap a pdp11 back to life a few years later

*yeah I know I'm a pussy, and should have used 8 binary switches

1. bazza Silver badge

You're right about my not having programmed one (my old Dad did that bit, like yourself using hex switches, eventually hooking up an ASR 33), but I liked them for their electrical and physical characteristics. They were, and still are in some regards, a unique odd-ball. You could run them on odd voltages (e.g. a 9V battery), though I notice today's ones from Renesas intend 5V operation. They had very good noise immunity. And, such a temperature range! The any-clock-rate-you-like aspect was interesting too, allowing things like running the clock speed at the data rate of a radio link.

2. Tom 7

Used to work on a ICL 1902 which had a cassette tape with the OS on it. You needed to key in the cassette loading routine when it crashed (it could detect lightning anywhere within 30 miles and crash) and I dare say 40 years later I could probably key in the code now it I had to - I cant remember it but I bet its somewhere in my brain and the right actions would trigger it!

9. Potemkine! Silver badge
    Coat

"Auctioneer puts Space Shuttle CPUs under the hammer"

Under the hammer? It may break it, doesn't it? :~

1. bazza Silver badge

Re: "Auctioneer puts Space Shuttle CPUs under the hammer"

There's always something missing from the requirements set...

2. Anonymous IV
      Facepalm

Re: "Auctioneer puts Space Shuttle CPUs under the hammer"

May I be the first to suggest that this would be a Hammer Horror?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Redundant IBM tech

> the manufacturing date on the units is 1988.

Started work for IBM in 1988 and now made redundant - sound familiar?

[Ah, jokes about IBM illegally firing their experienced staff - that never gets old - unlike their staff. Boom boom.]

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Redundant IBM tech

It isn't personal, It's Business Mate.

11. PBealo

Great to see these for sale. The summer of 1979 I worked at IBM Federal Systems Div in Owego NY in the "pre assembly dept," 2nd shift and among other duties I mounted and soldered connectors to shuttle computer boards.

Those shuttle jobs stopped after someone (NOT ME!!) was rolling a completed unit down a hall on a cart, and dumped it to the ground upon hitting a crack in the concrete floor. From then on only supervisors touched shuttle components.

Sadly, once the summer came to an end I was told not to apply back again. It seems I made management look bad because most of our DoD business was "cost plus" with reeaaallllly long times associated with each manufacturing step, and I took beating those times as my challenge. On many shifts I exceeded 3 or 4 times rate. Supposedly that made IBM look bad to their customers. And nothing ever came back for bad quality...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like