back to article Google to invest $9.5b in US offices, datacenters

Google is betting big on the future of the office with $9.5 billion in investments planned for such facilities in 2022.  Alphabet CEO Sundar Pichai said as much in a blog post, adding that Google plans to invest in new and existing datacenters as well as offices in the coming year. Pichai said that Google expects to create 12, …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"a greater quality of life for our employees"

Sorry Pichai, but I don't see how trudging to the office of a company that does not create or manipulate physical objects is improving my quality of life.

Now, I will admit that my only daughter is over 25 and working in Paris, so I don't have a gaggle of bawling, roudy offspring to distract me at my home office.

I also admit that I live in a house, not in an appartment surrounded by tenants who all think that the noise they make is quite acceptable.

Finally, I have a wife I love and who completely understands the words "I'm busy now".

Obviously, if one or more of these criteria is not met, I can understand that taking the daily commute to park oneself in an office might be more productive, but that is not my case.

I prefer the view of my front lawn, the bandwidth of my fiber connection and the absence of endless phone calls.

2. Falmari Silver badge
    Devil

Not available to Google employees

How to work from home with Google Workspace*

https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/9797904?hl=en

*Not available to Google employees. ;)

3. Marty McFly Silver badge
    Megaphone

Meanwhile, elsewhere....

"Every time one of my competitors announces a return to office, I send my recruiter after their top talent."

It baffles me that after the past two years there are still managers who can only manage based off the seat temperature of the office chairs. Not the type of boss / company culture I want to work for.

But hey, it is the Chocolate Factory, so maybe warm butts firmly ensconced in cushy chairs is a quirk they like.

1. Robert Grant Silver badge

Re: Meanwhile, elsewhere....

I wouldn't assume it's about managers being able to manage.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Translation: We have large amounts of sunk costs in office space and peoples entire careers banking on maintaining these large facilities as our original model was to act as an adult day-care to keep minions on-site.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022