back to article First rocket launch from UK soil now has... a logo

The UK Space Agency has marked the International Day of Human Spaceflight by announcing the winner of the Logo Lift-off Competition. A design by six-year-old Callum Wilkinson was picked and will adorn the first rockets launching satellites from the UK later this year. Wilkinson's design beat the entries of over 10,000 primary …

1. Greybearded old scrote Silver badge

Surprisingly decent

I've never met a six year old who could draw that well.

You should see the kiddies cartoon that $BOSS paid real money for. Or maybe you shouldn't Oh dear, oh dear.

1. Rameses Niblick the Third Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's My Thribble?

Re: Surprisingly decent

You should see the kiddies cartoon that $BOSS paid real money for.

Please tell me it was an NFT, that would make it perfect

2. the spectacularly refined chap Silver badge

Re: Surprisingly decent

Sadly I can't find a colour reference to it, but I remember at the time I quite liked Rhythm of the Trees.

2. wolfetone Silver badge
    Pint

"Designed by a six-year-old, the design just needs a rocket on which to ride"

Have you asked Callum? If he can draw the logo I'm sure he could knock something up with Lego.

A pint for the lad, for when he's 18 - or at least at his first house party as a teenager.

1. IamStillIan

Careful what you promise - at the current rate of going you mightn't be able to afford a pint by then...

2. HildyJ Silver badge
      Trollface

Let's just hope the rocket flies by then.

3. DuncanLarge Silver badge

He doesn't need to be 18 to drink a pint, nit by a long shot.

3. batfink Silver badge

Option...

Well if the UK launches never get off the ground, this could always be handed over to Trump to use for SPAACE FORCE.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Option...

Captain Saxon Berry of Space Force is currently trapped on the Red Planet on Radio4Extra tonight at 6pm!

4. Tams

For a six year old it's pretty impressive. But I wonder how they'll actually use it.

On another note, wouldn't it be good if the UK had a spaceport somewhere... useful? It's a shame Guyana decided they wanted independence as it hasn't exactly turned out well for them.

5. Locomotion69
    Go

Not the first design of its kind

It is not the first design of this kind I have seen in my life.

I remember LOHAN Vulture 2 with its exterior design: https://www.theregister.com/2014/04/19/vulture_2_paintjob/

Hope this one will reach the stars though.

6. TheProf
    Alien

Well Done

Well done to Callum. Designing a logo for anything is difficult; just look at the terrible designs produced by 'grown up professionals'.

Further congratulations are surely due to Callum for confusing any aliens that might come across the discarded bit of rocket his logo is on. They'll never find our planet with it's ice beard disguise.

(On a personal note: I hate competitions of this sort. Why isn't there NEVER a category for artistically inept old duffers? Not that I'd enter, I just don't like the discrimination.)

1. To Mars in Man Bras!
      Trollface

Re: Well Done

>Well done to Callum

I think you mean "Well done Callum's Mum/Dad/Elder sibling"

7. TimMaher Silver badge
    Coat

So what are they going to call the vehicle with the logo on?

Spacey McSpace Face?

1. fidodogbreath Silver badge

Re: So what are they going to call the vehicle with the logo on?

Drat. Ninja'd.

8. Richard 12 Silver badge
    Boffin

From "Cornwall"?

Nope.

It's launched from the USA.

They stick the rocket on a plane, fly it to the US, land, refuel, then take off and launch it.

If that's "from Cornwall" then many ESA launches are from Dover and Heathrow, via French Guiana.

1. Mike Richards

Re: From "Cornwall"?

Beardie is promising to launch from Newquay in Cornwall some time this year.

So it will be a British launch - just so long as you don't count the rocket, or the plane, or the people, or the company...

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: From "Cornwall"?

Or the last time the launcher aircraft touches the ground...

9. Securitymoose
    WTF?

Britain in space eh? Getting kiddies to design the logo.

I suppose it makes a change from getting kiddies to design websites, mobile phone operating systems and every other tortuous process we have to navigate, where usability and acceptance testing are dirty words. The TV series, Hyperdrive' shows exactly how it will be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz1sCzM6axk

(Don't forget to customise and reject all cookies when you view this pilot).

10. LybsterRoy Bronze badge

I suppose its politically incorrect of me to criticize a 6 year old but its over complex (possibly to complex for a 6 year old), the cartouches are meaninless - eg why is there a dustbin?

Marks out of 10 for whoever produced it 4 from 10

Marks out of 10 for whoever picked it (unless it was the kid's parent) -4 out of 10

1. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
      Facepalm

Yes, it's overly complex for a logo. Especially one that will be placed on something that the public will never get remotely close to.

But this competition was never about the logo. It's an engagement exercise, getting the kids to think about space and satellites and stuff. At that, it's clearly been successful. Hell, the kid even grasped the problem of space junk, which seems to have confused you.

1. LybsterRoy Bronze badge

Sorry I was confused over a dustbin representing space junk - a remarkably advanced notion for a 6 year old. Kind of reminds me of the 10 (might have been 12) year old who spent £40 on buying a book about climate change, read it and marched on Downing Street.

--It's an engagement exercise, getting the kids to think about space and satellites and stuff. At that, it's clearly been successful.--

Only if you believe a 6 year old produced the logo - I don't!

2. arachnoid2

the kid even grasped the problem of space junk

By putting a logo on more space junk.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: the kid even grasped the problem of space junk

It's all designed to re-enter the atmosphere and burn up in a reasonable amount of time. Specifically to avoid it hanging around and causing problems.

1. arachnoid2

Re: the kid even grasped the problem of space junk

Unless its Chinese and you hope it hits a large body of water.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022