back to article China finished 2021 with 4% global semiconductor market share

China finished 2021 holding just four percent of global semiconductor market, research firm IC Insights stated on Tuesday. That figure puts China at the bottom of the firm's lists, behind Japan's six percent share - down from 49 percent in the early 1990s. The US tops IC Insights' charts with over half of the global market, …

1. JassMan
    Trollface

Corruption?

While Beijing has invested billions of dollars into processor development and manufacturing infrastructure, the investment is yet to pay off, and results so far suggest the country is spinning its gears.

We all know that new processors from scratch cost loads of dosh but a lot of that is proving an instruction set will be useful in the real world. Do we really need yet another new processor family?

I know I will be shot down in flames here but, it seems to me, that RISC-V and Arm are the way to go so why do they need another. If they don't want to pay for Arm licenses there is nothing to stop them from producing their own hardware to run the same instruction set (which is well tried and tested and has a lot of software already running.) This would be a much cheaper way to go.

The real question is, "Is all this money actually going to designers and manufacturers?" or is loads of it being syphoned off by various members of the Party.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Corruption?

China is not creating new instruction sets. So far, their homegrown CPUs all use existing architectures. The article is only about chip manufacture, not the market share of different types of CPUs.

2. ZakkkkÄ·kkk

It's still too early to paint a dire situation on China semiconductor industry. Yes targeting 70% market

share for domestic design chips in 2025 is over ambitious and not realistic. But big opportunity is still there for Chinese chip companies to grab market share from MNCs.

1. Yes Me Silver badge

Sky's the limit

50% of the world market by 2035?

1. ZakkkkÄ·kkk

Re: Sky's the limit

I believe in 2030 at least 40% of domestic market and 10% global market share is in the hand of chinese chip makers and. By 2035 they will increase it to 60% domestic and 20% global. That is what I forecast.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like