back to article China tells big tech to reveal some customers' income

China's massive live-streaming industry is the next target of China's tech regulation blitz, with three governmental agencies announcing a requirement for operators to register in an attempt to eliminate tax evasion. The three regulatory bodies – the Cyberspace Administration of China (CAC), the State Taxation Administration ( …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

The one and only benefit of a totalitarian government

You WILL pay your taxes.

1. batfink Silver badge

Re: The one and only benefit of a totalitarian government

Yep. It's still income, whether it's from old-school jobs or newfangled Influencing.

So, pay your taxes just like anyone else.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Pascal Monett - Re: The one and only benefit of a totalitarian government

If I'm not mistaking, tax evasion is a punishable offence in a democracy too. A government that doesn't collect taxes is a poor government and can not easily spend to buy votes.

1. batfink Silver badge

Re: @Pascal Monett - The one and only benefit of a totalitarian government

It is a punishable offence in democracies. However, it rarely seems to get much enforcement, except for the little people. After all, it might implicate lawmakers and their chums as well, so we can't be having that.

2. teknopaul Silver badge

Paid content

It's good theregister highlights paid content. Interesting that comments are often turned off. I guess those advertisers are scared of well informed commentards with worrying amounts of field experience ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@teknopaul - Re: Paid content

That's the privilege of paid content. As we use to say in my native country, the person that pays the fiddler is the one that will choose the tunes.

3. tmTM

I'm gunna say it

Alot of what they're proposing is not a bad idea.

1. DS999 Silver badge

Re: I'm gunna say it

China is doing a lot of things to regulate the tech industry that may make them a healthier society down the road. We may despise the heavy handed authoritarian government system required to fully implement these policies, but we may eventually find out there's such a thing as too much freedom in a world where everyone can be a publisher, everyone can be a journalist, everyone can be an influencer, everyone can claim to be an expert on every subject because they "did their research".

1. An_Old_Dog Bronze badge

@DS999: The problem isn't "too much freedom in a world where everyone can be a publisher..." It's people who lack the critical-thinking skills to weed out the bogus.

Why do people lack those critical-thinking skills? Because their parents abrogated their childrens' entire education to the state, which has a vested interest in the masses becoming "sheeple". I went to a public school, but my parents did things at home to educate me and my siblings in areas where the schools did not. It wasn't until COLLEGE that I had the opportunity to take a critical-thinking course.

1. DS999 Silver badge

Even people I've known for a long time and I know have critical thinking skills fall for some of this. Because they are being fed what they want to believe, and have self limited their sources of news - sources of news that tell them all the other sources are highly biased.

1. An_Old_Dog Bronze badge
            Thumb Up

@DS999: Your last sentence above hits the nail on the head. To counter these biases, you have to work at it -- hacking your own head, so to speak. You have to go out of your way to read sources whose typical slant goes against the grain of your own philosophy and preferences.

1. DS999 Silver badge

Sources with a "slant" sure. But do you include sources that are five stops down the loony conspiracy theory train? Because increasingly the loony stuff is mainstream for a decent chunk of people. If I spend more time listening to those theories, how is that going to help people I know who have gone full QAnon?

2. batfink Silver badge

@Dog: US "Public" or UK "Public" meaning?

In the UK, "Public Schools" are what the rest of the world call "Private Schools".

No, I don't know either....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022