back to article GParted 1.4: New version of live partition-manipulation tool

GNOME Partition Editor version 1.4 was released this week by lead maintainer Curtis Gedak. GParted is a graphical dynamic partition management tool for Linux. In other words, it does useful things like non-destructively expand or shrink disk partitions while they contain data. It's not unfair to describe it as a FOSS …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wiki

The GParted Wiki page is not updated, I don't have time right now. Maybe someone here does?

2. tony72

GParted and CloneZilla must be a couple of my favourite utilities of all time. I must admit I didn't realize GParted could do copying as well though, maybe I don't even need Clonezilla?

1. Captain Scarlet

Yeah i used GParted after Acronyis threw a hissy fit, also use to move some partitions so I could expand some NTFS partitions.

If Acronyis fails (Only use because lazy and you always get a free license on storage devices) I always go to GParted personally.

2. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Another fan of GParted. When others fail, it works. I've been using it for years and it has never (knock wood) let me down.

3. Blackjack Silver badge

Clonezilla does it better.

1. David 132 Silver badge

Can Clonezilla (or GParted for that matter) clone to smaller and larger drives and resize the cloned partitions? ISTR that was a limitation of Clonezilla at one time. When cloning to a smaller drive I had to use Ghost or similar.

1. Captain Scarlet

GParted to a larger drive yes, I must admit Acronyis for me worked for moving from a mechanical HDD to a small SSD so I havent tried it on GParted but I've had no issues reducing the size of NTFS partitions with Gparted.

2. ICL1900-G3

You can also use dd and let it fail when it 'falls off the end'.

3. quxinot
    Devil

Quoted:

>(The best tool for repairing NTFS remains Windows, .....

Also the best for damaging them, as far as that goes.

1. Antonius_Prime
      Devil

Re: Also the best for damaging them, as far as that goes

I mean, you can apparently use a hammer for putting nails into wood as well as Recalibrating User Expectations, so perhaps some tools are multiuse? :D

4. Spoobistle

Low RAM tips?

Any hints on using gparted live on (P4) PCs with 1GB of RAM? Tried this from USB and it slowly grinds to a halt.

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
      Linux

Re: Low RAM tips?

Rescatux or Refracta might work better for you.

2. 7teven 4ect

Re: Low RAM tips?

Install LMDE to an SSD drive, install mate-session and marco, logout and back in as a Mate session, install gparted. Hack away at bloat (htop and systemd-analyze blame to find bloat) until it runs in under 150 mb, install gparted. Use this instead.

I use this setup happily on machines with half a gig of ram and single core 600 MHz celerons.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Woodnag

Drive imaging...

I've always used DD to make a backup image of a drive, either directly to a same size or bigger drive, or as an image file. Great for moving a computer to SSD.

This with Windows drives some using Bitlocker and some VeraCrypt.

I just boot to a Linux live USB and geddonwithit.

Never had to do a Windows repair afterwards.

What am I missing here?

1. nautica Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: Drive imaging...

"...What am I missing here?"

Other than the tremendous added versatility of GParted? Nothing.

1. Woodnag

TFA says "use GParted to copy the Windows partitions to the new drive. Switch the disks, use Windows' boot-sector repair function, and the job's done."

Why is the repair function needed if the image is a bit for bit copy? Including the ID?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Can't say I've seen that either, although it's something I don't do very often these days, so that's not saying much! But I'm thinking possibly a different SATA chipset might name the physical device differently, or maybe using a different SATA port.

7. Steve Graham

It's a useful tool, but one piece of stupidity is that it insists on being called by an actual root user. Even if you're logged in as an admistraror-type account with full privileges to access the hardware: nope.

1. steelpillow Silver badge

GNU parted requires root or sudo. There is little point in lowering the threshold for the GUI if the engine it is driving demands full privilege.

I guess the principle must be that a mere Linux admin has fiddling-around privilege for everything on top of Linux, such as hardware config files, but not for the stuff underneath Linux and possibly shared by other OS, such as disk partitioning and formatting.

8. BobbyTables
    Happy

Glad to see lots of love for GParted here. It's something I've sort of always taken for granted, it's been so handy and never let me down.

It's one of those really nice utilities that hasn't been ruined by feature creep, has a really obvious and clean interface that doesn't change (which is a must for something so potentially destructive), while still getting updated in useful ways, like bug fixes. Microsoft should take note!

1. oiseau
      Thumb Up

... lots of love for GParted here.

... always taken for granted ...

... so handy ...

... never let me down.

... hasn't been ruined by feature creep ...

... obvious and clean interface ...

Quite so.

+1 from another GParted enthusiast.

Microsoft should ...

Microsoft?

And just what would that be?

O.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Like you, I've always taken it for granted because it's always there, either installed or in the repository available to install. But it does lack one thing: the ability to treat logical volumes as devices. It will show the space(s) occupied by LVM2 as nothing more than partitions.

KDE Partition manager also shows the logical volumes and file systems and unallocated space within them as if they were additional physical volumes.

But then it's more than a graphical wrapper around parted.

9. bazza Silver badge

Top Tool

Great piece of work. They've gone and found a new, higher bar to sit on and throw us lifelines. Thanks very much!

10. Ken Hagan Gold badge

"Of course, commercial tools to do this exist, but they cost as much as a small SSD. Why double the price of the exercise unnecessarily?"

To me, it is quite extraordinary that commercial tools exist for this. Gparted has been around since time immemorial and has always done the job, so where is the market?

1. stiine Silver badge

Probably for operations that require active support contracts for insurance purposes.

1. J. Cook Silver badge

Yep; that (and other reasons) were why we had to buy commercial disk wiping software when DBAN does the job handily and 'good enough'; that certificate of data destruction along with a support contract.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

The old price of everything and value of nothing approach.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like