back to article DARPA to build life-saving AI models that think like medics

A new DARPA initiative aims to ultimately give AI systems the same complex, rapid decision-making capabilities as military medical staff and trauma surgeons who are in the field of battle. The In the Moment (ITM) program, which is right now soliciting research proposals, aims to develop the foundations of expert machine- …

1. JassMan Silver badge

This is one case where an AI will never be better

Generals may disagree over how exactly a confrontation between two opposing units should unfold.

In a war situation, often the side that wins or loses is not down to generals but someone further down the chain misunderstanding, refusing to obey, or sometimes not even receiving an order. In fights over "assets" it sometimes depends on which side gets into an advantageous position just minutes ahead of the other side.

Hardly any plan ever survives meeting the opponents. Just look at how well Pootie Khuylo's plans are going.

1. Korev Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: This is one case where an AI will never be better

If you saw the Falklands War programme on Channel 4 last Sunday then there were all sorts of claims about stupidity and competition between senior officers leading to many injuries and deaths. They also claimed that if the Argentines had got to one hill over Port Stanley ten minutes earlier then the British forces would have been annihilated and the war might have gone the other way...

2. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
      Happy

Re: This is one case where an AI will never be better

“Everybody has plans until they get hit for the first time” - Mike Tyson

"No Plan Survives First Contact With the Enemy" - Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2021/05/04/no-plan/

"In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless but planning is indispensable." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2017/11/18/planning/

"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." - Winston Churchill

2. itsborken

Ahh Deep Blue plus fairy dust. How can it not work?

3. Danny 2 Silver badge

The Stupidest Song Ever Written

M*A*S*H* is what is now called a 'trigger word' for me.

I loved the TV series, loved the movie, bought the soundtrack and loved that too, especially the theme song, Suicide is Painless.

I've since witnessed the aftermath of two horrific suicides that obviously were the opposite of painless, and wondered if they were lured into it by the song. I'll spare the gory details as I've mentioned them here before.

Numerous websites and social media are rightly condemned for encouraging suicide, as that song should be, but swept up in that are rational advice on how to do it painlessly. I know how, I choose not to. When I choose to I hope society has evolved so I can lie back on an NHS bed and press a button.

4. EnviableOne Silver badge

the birth of the EMH

Time to ask Robert Picardo to be the model

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022