back to article Electric Vehicle DC charging tripped by a wireless hack

Researchers from the University of Oxford published details of a vulnerability in the Combined Charging System that has the potential to abort charging. The Combined Charging System (CCS) is one of the plethora of standards in the EV charging world, and allows DC fast charging. Different plug types are used for the US and EU …

1. Red Ted
    FAIL

Cancelling Charging

My experience is that you don't need to hack anything to make a charge abort early, as charging points seem to do it all by themselves!

The likes of Zap-Map are full of review comments about charging stopping early.

2. ThatOne Silver badge
    Facepalm

Security is for the weak!

Yet another case of cheap & cheerful implementation...

I'm no RF engineer, but I'm sure there must be ways to shield the cable in a way that war-driving kids can't wreak havoc, and that a nearby lightning strike doesn't trigger the car's self-destruction procedure (I'm sure there is one somewhere in there).

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Security is for the weak!

I think the issue is that that data link is a low voltage AC on top of the DC power cable. Either the original connector standard didn't include data and this was a bodge or they were trying to save on pins/use standard industrial cable.

It's difficult to RF shield the thick DC power cable while keeping it flexible, and would mean you would need special expensive cable.

1. ThatOne Silver badge

Point taken, but I'm pretty sure those are not cheap throwaway cables, so why can't they afford to add a coax for the data transmission? Just because the added cost of a couple cents per cable?

Obviously it's even cheaper to say "we take the security of our customers very seriously (now get out of my hair)" when something happens...

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

it's even cheaper to say "we take the security of our customers very seriously (now get out of my hair)"

Are you sure? Those mouthpieces must cost money. Ten a penny? Fair enough.

2. bazza Silver badge

Embedding a data connection into a charging connector like that is very difficult from a design point of view, especially one that has to last thousands of mating cycles carried out by the uncaring public and be reliable. You'd have to have pins equally chunky for the data, for it to last.

Home Plug via the power pins really is about the best possible way. Though I don't suppose it's going to please radio hams or astronomers.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Just use a fibre with an optical connector.

1. bazza Silver badge

Dirt

2. Peter2 Silver badge

To be honest, if I was trying to irritate EV drivers then i'd be inclined to just cut the cable with a pair of bolt cutters; something which may become quite popular if EV drivers have cables running across footpaths like tripwires as some people have suggested might happen.

1. ThatOne Silver badge
        Devil

> cut the cable with a pair of bolt cutters

That carries most likely the penalty of death by electrocution!...

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
          Mushroom

At 600V and 10-40A there will be lots of pretty sparks too.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

If it's crossing a footpath then it's going to be from a residential supply and so either 240v or 415v, more likely the former than the latter if the tripwire is running from a Victorian era terrace house across the footpath to the EV.

240v at 10A probably wouldn't even give a shock to the kids with the boltcutter with it's insulated handles, and definitely not if they were wearing insulated gloves. And even if it did; who doesn't know a sparky who hasn't had a shock bigger than that?

2. David 132 Silver badge

This warning sign comes to mind.

2. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
        Coat

i'd be inclined to just cut the cable with a pair of bolt cutters

I was thinking some kind of pivoted contraption which allows a battery powered circular saw to bear down on the cable would allow oneself to be well away from the sparks when they fly.

Just slicing the outer sheathing of the cable and stripping a length bare is probably enough to merit a costly replacement.

Or tie a tow rope around it and drive off.

The one with "The Little Book of Calm" in the pocket

1. David 132 Silver badge
          Happy

> The one with "The Little Book of Calm" in the pocket

Hmm, I don't have that one. I have "TANKS!" by Dennis de Groot, and "The History of Screaming" by Rachel Stewart. Are either of those what you're looking for? Maybe you've swallowed The Little Book of Calm?

3. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
        Holmes

But that would constitute criminal damage. Disturbing the charge is far more subtle.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"and that a nearby lightning strike doesn't trigger the car's self-destruction procedure (I'm sure there is one somewhere in there)."

You're not wrong. For the high voltage batteries that I'm familiar with, the pack has pyrotechnic devices that will sever the HV lines in the event of a severe crash. Sure, it has redundant sets of high-current contactors, but those can fail short under extreme conditions.

I haven't gotten to try it out yet, but I'm looking forward to the day my boss lets me give a pack that particular command!

1. ThatOne Silver badge
        Devil

> the pack has pyrotechnic devices that will sever the HV lines in the event of a severe crash

Nah, I was thinking more along the lines of the compulsory big red "self destruction" button planted easily accessible in plain sight (because it's an often needed and regularly used feature after all - Most SciFi movies make use of it at some point).

I can't imagine modern cars won't eventually have them, after all they slowly accumulate all the useless and/or annoying ideas any sick mind can sire.

3. mark l 2 Silver badge

Without having ever charged an EV i don't know, can you not simply unplug the power cable mid charge to stop it charging up or is it locked into place until the charge is completed?

As if you can simply pull it out mid charging, i suspect there are way more people going to do if they wanted to cause inconvenience to the owner of an unattended EVs on charging than rig up a modem, software and antenna to do wireless hack to interrupt the charging process.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

no you need to stop the charge before you can pull the charger plug out. Be a bit dangerous if you could just yank the cable out mid charge, there are a lot of amps flying around!!!!

At least with the standard here in the former colonies, the car locks the connector for home level 1/2 chargers but you can unplug the biggest fast chargers.

Whether this was a safety feature to unplug a smoking car or so parking lot owners can tow somebody overstaying, or just an oversight on the plug design

PS there are a couple of sense pins so it can kill the current quickly when you disconnect

2. NerryTutkins

The cables lock in place when the charging starts. On my car (VW ID4) you need to click the keyfob to unlock the car to release it, even if the car is unlocked already.

Similar happens at the other end if you are using a cable to connect to a lower output public charger, such as those outside supermarkets.

Typically you don't need to stay with the car while charging, you have an app on your phone so you can see the status. Therefore you want to make sure that someone else cannot stop your charging by unplugging you, or steal your cable.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

As TFA points out, this is stealthier. Read that as "less liable to retribution by the vehicle owner".

4. hoola Silver badge

Yes another possibility...

Given the every increasing amount of technical gizmos that are incorporated within a vehicle now something like this is no surprise. What is interesting is that it is affected by such a low power.

Keyless entry is bad enough but all the Apps connecting things to phones for unlocking, remote start and so baffle me.

Keyless can be a convenience but just zapping a button on the keyfob is just has easy. As far as connectivity to a phone, I just fail to see the advantage. It is simply something that can be done and in this age, if something does not have an App, it appears to be considered "Old".

I suppose if you lose your car your could "remote wipe" it or maybe if self-driving is ever mad to work, press a button on your phone and the car comes to your location.

Now the only time I have experience of losing a car is when my wife took the kids swimming and parked in an empty carpark. When they returned the carpark was now quite full and they had not the foggiest idea which row the car was in. Panic phone call to me as if I could somehow locate the car from 10 miles away. All I could confirm was that it wasn't on the driveway, and yes she had taken the blue one......

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Yes another possibility...

the tesla app is really pretty good, can't speak or any other cars. You can do stuff like turn the aircon or heaters on before you get back to the car. And our favorite beep the horn just as our daughter is right near the car, gets her every time!

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

If the car park was empty when she arrived, wouldn't the car most logically be parked in a row near the swimming pool entrance?

1. Rob Daglish

You've obviously never been in a car with my wife! She has this strange inability to park in an empty car park, seemingly paralysed by the number of choices. If there are one or two cars in there, she will park next to them to the extent you can't open the door because you're that damned close!

3. ThatOne Silver badge
      Devil

> press a button on your phone and the car comes to your location

And then somebody discovers that actually that feature is protected by pinky-swear-level security, and chop shops start hiring additional staff...

So far it seems Tesla software security is pretty good (unlike their ability to detect tunnels painted on walls)

Probably cos Tesla is staffed by silicon valley type programmers rather than traditional automotive eng types = why would my car's internal canbus need security ?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Tesla software security is pretty good".

They worked hard on that to stop you fixing your own car.

4. GBE

Keyless can be a convenience but just zapping a button on the keyfob is just has easy.

Pushing a button on the keyfob is not "just as easy" as keyless when it's -20F.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Pushing a button on the keyfob is not "just as easy" as keyless when it's -20F.

Why not? Presumably both the fob and your hands are nice and warm in your pockets?

Whereas keyless entry on my car involves pushing a button on the door.

5. Roger Greenwood

Let me get this straight...

They used an unshielded cable to transmit RF between devices (which must therefore be broadcasting crap all over the place) and didn't protect the same devices from any outside interference?. Presumably this is down to cost and a co-ax along with the welding cables was too much?

It's a wonder these chargers are able to work alongside each other at all...

Re: Let me get this straight...

It's not RF (well not deliberately) - RF would work! Doing bluetooth or zigbee or similar to a charger 1m away with all the authentication and error correction and channel management built into the radio protocol would be good.

Instead the electrical engineers started with power and voltage specs, and connectors that were different for all the makers, and nobody thought about data - why does a power plug need data ?

The home standards came up with a simple bodge with an extra 1Khz low voltage signal on top of the charge and it just detects, connected, can take more current, I'm full.

The commercial ones somebody realised that they might want to charge money as well as batteries. They invented a big fancy standard, which was in xml (because it was a big fancy standard) but everybody already had the expensive wires and connectors in place. So they bodged a low voltage modem signal on top of the DC. It at least has some data verification, which is why this attack works, if you add enough noise to scramble the data it shuts off rather than self destructs.

1. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

"The commercial ones somebody realised that they might want to charge money as well as batteries. They invented a big fancy standard, which was in xml (because it was a big fancy standard) but everybody already had the expensive wires and connectors in place."

XML !

So the next attack will be getting your car charged at the expense of the car next to you.

2. Roger Greenwood

Thanks YAAC, the report itself is also interesting and contains this nugget, so yes they mitigated it rather than prevented it:-

"It is possible that a vehicle would begin communicating, not with the charger that it is physically con-nnected to, but with a nearby charger that happened to respond first, but is actually communicating via leaked signals. "

Operating between 2 and 28MHz I call that RF:-

"In brief, HPGP uses an Orthogonal Frequency-Division Multiplexing (OFDM) physical-layer operating in the 2 – 28 MHz band and modulating data onto (typically) 917 un-masked subcarriers spaced 24.414 kHz apart. The technology provides a set of communication modes that trade throughput vs. reliability with maximum speeds of 3.77, 4.92 (default), and 9.84 Mbps."

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"They used an unshielded cable to transmit RF between devices (which must therefore be broadcasting crap all over the place) and didn't protect the same devices from any outside interference?"

Aren't there regulations for RF interference from/to device too? ie, they should not produce (too much) RF interference and also be able to ignore outside RF interference/ This sounds like it might be a major regulatory fail.

1. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
        Holmes

The wording you're referring to is:

(1) this device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.

Which means that the interference mustn't damage the device, but stopping the charging is perfectly allowable. Also, it can produce interference as long as that interference isn't considered harmful (ie not microwaves that could cook people passing by)

6. Flywheel
    Facepalm

It sounds like the idiots that designed our mains "Smart" meters have moved on to EV charger design. Will they NEVER learn?

1. ThatOne Silver badge
      Facepalm

Not as long as they keep making good money from it...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yeah but

The other day at the petrol station I pulled out the nozzle from my cars tank and some fuel drops fell on the ground.

On the ground!!!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like