back to article How Pfizer used AI and supercomputers to design COVID-19 vaccine, tablet

AI algorithms were involved in every step of the way to design and deliver Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine and antiviral tablets to hundreds of millions of people as coronavirus spread around the world. Lidia Fonseca, Pfizer's chief digital and technology officer, said machine-learning technology was crucial in speeding up the …

1. Roger 11

Hi, folding@home.

1. anothercynic Silver badge

Indeed, not only that... but organisations like the Diamond Light Source or XFEL in Germany use micro-crystallography to work out how proteins look and then see which compounds could fit into the 'sockets' to deactivate (or activate) said proteins (and by extension work out what gene expression to engineer).

Science on the atomic/molecular level is just so utterly.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Pfizer didn't develop the vaccine

The German company Biontech did most of the work, with Pfizer a partner for production.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Pfizer didn't develop the vaccine

And had worked out the technology before Covid realised there was more to life than bats.

1. teknopaul
        Joke

Perhaps Pfizer AI introduced the built in obscelecense?

The various vaccines saved a huge number of lives. But it was shocking how ineffective they were in preventing reinfection with variants and the short time protection lasts.

Not what it said on the tin.

2. Korev Silver badge
      Boffin

Generally in BigPharma* R & D is split into two parts (with a fuzzy bit in the middle). Research is where molecules are discovered and Development is where the drugs are tested in humans and where they work out how to make said drug at scale. In this case I think the Research was in Biontech, the development in Pfizer.

* I work for a competitor to Pfizer.

1. Stuart Castle Silver badge

Fairly certain Pfizer first made their fortune by being the first company to work out how to manufacture Penicillin at the kinds of scale needed.

3. MJI Silver badge

What a weird name for the Biontech Vaccine.

Sounds like someone reading the result of someone sneezing while eating Alphabetti Spaghetti.

I just remember seeing BT something on my card. That sneeze name was nowhere,

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like