back to article Nvidia reveals specs of latest GPU: The Hopper-based H100

Nvidia has unveiled its H100 GPU powered by its next-generation Hopper architecture, claiming it will provide a huge AI performance leap over the two-year-old A100, speeding up massive deep learning models in a more secure environment. The new processor is also more power-hungry than ever before, demanding up to 700 Watts for …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Obligatory comment

But can it play Crysis?

1. b0llchit Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Obligatory comment

No, Crysis is a problem.

But Doom is already ported. It is running all levels simultaneously and finishing all levels before it has started the game because of the futuristic AI performance.

It is said that you can feel warm and cosy when playing Doom because of the system's thermal design.

2. Timbo Bronze badge

"But can it play Crysis?"

I'd be happy if it can play Doom ;-) Or Duke Nukem 3D !!

3. Lucy in the Sky (with Diamonds)

Obviously, not on full settigs, but if you scale things down, Crysis will probably run quite nicely.

2. Steve Channell
    Happy

Grace Hopper

Great to see a computing platform named in honor of Admiral Grace Hopper

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Grace Hopper

Yeah, may last GPU was a Turing core, Glad to see amazing Grace get the tip of the hat on this. About due for a system update in the same time frame, so I hope this is one of the good ones.

The Turing card I have is still chugging along nicely, dragging the rest of my systems now aged but once awesome parts along with it. I hope the Hopper core will be one of those cards that buys you 3-4 years of "Meh, new video card? I'll get around to it at some point"

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Grace Hopper

Until we find out it's named after the cop in Stranger Things.

3. cornetman Silver badge

The reason for the massive increase in power draw is alleged to be because to get the performance they have cranked up the speed.

Let's see what AMD has in stored. I hear that their next gen is a monster and sports only a modest increase in power draw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5VWPwo9YaY

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah, both are relevant

I fell like the 100s are usually monsters, and increasingly targeted to rarefied air.

We will see if team red will try to out punch them in this generation, or stick to the broader part of the market where a 700w TDP with car jumper cables running to the PS isn't really going to be a thing. But rest assured, NVIDIA will be releasing other flavors of this, at lower power points, and _SLIGHTLY_ lower price points.

I am more interested to see the different tuning between the AMD/NVIDIA parts. Often there have been huge differences in the platforms, and for specific workloads one or the other punched way above or below their price class. Seems like NVIDIA has been prone to hobbling their midmarket cards in some areas to protect their top end accelerators, and on some workloads even a mid market AMD video card would run laps around one of NVIDIA's lower tier server accelerators at 4x the price.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022