back to article Microsoft investigates Lapsus$'s boasts of Bing, Cortana code heist

The Lapsus$ extortion gang briefly alleged over the weekend it had compromised Microsoft. The devil-may-care cyber-crime ring has previously boasted of breaking into Nvidia, Samsung, Ubisoft, and others. Its modus operandi is to infiltrate a big target's network, exfiltrate sensitive internal data, and then make demands to …

1. AndrueC Silver badge
    Joke

There's the potential for miscreants to find and exploit security holes in the code, should they get their hands on it.

Or perhaps they could fix some of the defects? There's a myriad of bugs in Visual Studio that the development team have never seemed interested in addressing. Think of it as a kind of out-sourcing.

2. DS999 Silver badge
    Trollface

Bing and Cortana code was stolen?

Wow we're really going all the way to damage the Russian economy by letting them have that!

3. Duncan Macdonald Silver badge

I hope the code is released

Having the code publicly visible might get M$ to fix some of the worst errors in it.

4. martinusher Silver badge

Not such a big deal

It often takes longer to unravel a whole bunch of "mature" source code than it does to rewrite it.

I've had dumped on me source bases that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. You know stuff is contorted when you're still looking at it years later and parts of it still don't make sense.

Then there's no guarantee that this dump isn't of some developers 'archive' filesystem that includes numerous versions of the same code, all non-functional and all of it obsolete. I wish this crew luck in their endeavors (they're going to need it).

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yo Lapsus$ gang

Kindly take down the South African Revenue Services totally

kthanxbai

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022